Names of God

StephButler

Names of God

Postby StephButler » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:11 pm

I attended a convention in Colorado a few years back where we were each given one of the "Names of God" on a slip of paper and invited to read them during the voting. Our convetion committee now wants to use this idea, and I am having trouble locating the list, which I was told was found online. Does anyone know where I can find it?

BritishBahai

Re: Names of God

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 am

Never heard of this... :-k

When you say "names of God" are you

a - referring strictly to different words for "creator"

OR

b - referring to descriptive words (e.g. "all-knowing", "merciful" etc etc)
Because if this is what youre after, then you can get a whole lot of descriptive words from the long healing prayer:

http://www.bahaiprayers.org/healing6.htm
He is the Healer, the Sufficer, the Helper, the All-Forgiving, the All-Merciful.
I call on Thee O Exalted One, O Faithful One, O Glorious One! Thou the Sufficing, Thou the Healing, Thou the Abiding, O Thou Abiding One!
I call on Thee O Sovereign, O Upraiser, O Judge! Thou the Sufficing, Thou the Healing, Thou the Abiding, O Thou Abiding One!
I call on Thee O Peerless One, O Eternal One, O Single One! Thou the Sufficing, Thou the Healing, Thou the Abiding, O Thou Abiding One!

I call on Thee O Most Praised One, O Holy One, O Helping One! Thou the Sufficing, Thou the Healing, Thou the Abiding, O Thou Abiding One!

and so on...
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

I wonder if these were taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Names_of_God ... One can hardly definitively limit the qualities with which to praise God, but, having a list to contemplate can be insightful...

Brett

jmhunt95

Postby jmhunt95 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

There is a list of the Names of God in a book called "The Desire of the World", a compilation of Baha'u'llah's writings put together by Ruhiyyah Khanum (George Ronald, 1982)

Jeannie

Return to “Bahá'í Writings”