All research or scholarship questions
choogue

Postby choogue » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 am

Thankyou all for the information.

I agree with Brent that i have enough references to continue studying. I appreciate everyones reponses and if i have any further questions, i will do a search on the forum first.

If a search fails and i require further clarification, i will post.

Thanks again :)
Abbas

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm

Abbas:

I just wanted to wish you good luck in your search for truth. Not many people these days are as open-minded as you. As you undoubtedly know the Baha'i Faith has high regard for Islam and Muhammad, so much so that Baha'u'llah's Kitab-i-Iqan, which includes His elucidation on the Koran, is considered "the most important book written on the spiritual significance of the Cause," "the most important book wherein Bahá’u’lláh explains the basic beliefs of the Faith," "the most fundamental book on the Bahá’í Revelation," and "of unsurpassed preeminence among the doctrinal...writings of the Author of the Bahá'í Dispensation." The Baha'i belief is that the Koran is the Word of God and thus it is not uncommon to use relevant quotations from it in Baha'i devotional meetings.

Some people might, not unreasonably, have some hesitations in regards to becoming a Baha'i because they might think that they have to give up their Holy Book, like the Koran or the Bible, but they actually would gain from the Baha'i Faith. It is a continuation of past revelations and thus many of the previous Holy Books are considered significant and are revered by Baha'is.

Again, good luck on your quest for truth,

—BW

_________
(Sources of quotations: Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Divine Guidance, vol. i., p. 37, On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, 28 June 1930, From a postscript in the hand of Shoghi Effendi on a letter written on his behalf to an individual believer, 25 August 1932, and Shoghi Effendi, God Passes By, 140)

endable

Postby endable » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:59 am

(this is my first post here. . .)

Dear Abbas,

I wish you well on your search - you strike me as a very fair and sincere seeker of truth, and that should serve you quite well indeed.

I know others have made their recommendations to you on things to read. Given your background, I strongly recommend The Kitab-i-Iqan as others have, and also (and perhaps first) Gems of Divine Mysteries which echo many of the themes in the Iqan. Gleanings is wonderful, though it is a compilation so it doesn't have the flow/continuity of the others.

Gems is small, powerful and extraordinarily beautiful, IMHO - you may want to start there :-)

I hope you will continue to post questions here and elsewhere (I spend a lot of time on the forums at Planet Baha'i, but hope to be around here more often)

Return to “Discussion”