Interesting challenge

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Interesting challenge

Postby brettz9 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:04 am

Hi there,

I came across this website today and found it was interesting: http://www.faithfreedom.org/challenge.htm and http://www.faithfreedom.org/debates.htm

Basically, the group is from some ex-Muslims challenging anyone to prove their negative assertions wrong about Muhammad, offering $50,000 to anyone who can do so (or at least so they say--though they seem sincere, as the site as I browsed through it was less polemical and more scholarly in tone).

Now I hope any would-be Baha'i apologists wouldn't be going at it for any money, but it seems to have drawn some quite prominent attention, including a leading cleric in Iran.

It would be most interesting I think if Baha'is could alone end up successfully defending Muhammad at this site (especially since at least one page refers to Muslims' persecution of Baha'is).

While I have only barely skimmed through a few of the pages myself, it may be that some of the accusations cannot be factually refuted (while they can be interpreted differently). Nevertheless, Baha'is are called to uphold the truth of Islam (actually the Baha'i Writings refer to it as our destiny to do so in the West), even while we advance the new Law and promulgate the explicitly wider embrace of our own Teachings.

Perhaps needless to say, this challenge is not something which could be easily achieved by cobbling together some Baha'i quotations or the like. Maybe if someone where to take up the challenge, they might compose a draft for review here, to bring consultation into the mix--or perhaps such a letter would even be advised to be under review given the apparent prominence of the website.

best wishes,
Brett

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 am

I don't know, this guy has some pretty negative things to say about Muhammad, and I get the sense of a miasm of hate which won't be extinguished by any logical argument. He calls the Prophet a rapist, and among many things, says He had hallucinations! This guy will probably just go back and forth—we will say He got His revelation from God, this guys says he heard voices. It won't go anywhere. The $50,000 is no incentive since the challange is more like saying "Hey I'm right and you're wrong, and I'm willing to give you $50,000 if you can prove me wrong" just to show how strongly he thinks he's right. But know that won't happen. Read some of his arguments and I'm sure you'll get this impression too.

This Sina argues: "Muhammad killed the Jews because of their race" (http://www.faithfreedom.org/debates/montazeri4.htm). That is not accurate. They were persecuted by the Jews, and everyone back then was primitive and acted toward people they hated (or people they wanted to get something from) in a violent manner. This was the custom back then, to get what you want through violence. As I have said before, back then there were no prisions to speak of, and at a certain point the Muslims needed to kill these people or themselves be destroyed. It was necessarily back then, and the Muslims were merely defending themselves.

Elsewhere he says:

"Muhammad married Ayesha when she was 6-years old and consumed his marriage with her when she was 9-years-old. How could a 54 year-old man calling himself the messenger God have sexual feelings for a 9-year-old girl?"

The Ayatollah correctly responds that this was the custom back then. If Sina rejects this logic, how are we going to convince him any better?

Sina's response: "This is not a good excuse to marry an underage child...in this day and age if a 54-year-old man has an intercourse with a 9-year-old girl he will be jailed and despised as a pedophile. Why should the Prophet be forgiven?"

Yes, IN THIS DAY AND AGE not in that day and age! Sina says it himself...apparently he doesn't understand that what we consider to be moral and legal today wasn't considered that 1,000 years ago. That is why today we don't marry 9-year-old girls.

Also I'd point out to Sina that back then the best gift people could give to respectable people, much less the Prophet, were their daughters, and also point out that Muhammad Himself didn't seek out a nine-year-old girl—an impression he wrongly gives (probably because of lack of knowledge of the customs). And it was very rude to reject a gift, whatever it was. Muhammad couldn't have reformed everything back then! He could only do so much. Anways....what proof does this guy even have that Muhammad consummated the marriage? Obviously, he is only assuming that He did!

Any "defence" would be futile in my opinion. But feel free to object, and state your reasons...

—Warrior

choogue

Postby choogue » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:28 am

Yeh ive read the site and the guy has a lot of hate in him. He uses the verses of the Quran to suit his needs. There is a site that explains what he does and answers his pathetic questions.

Ali Sina is simply against Islam (i think religion all together) and creates many lies for the naive and ignorant people to believe.

This is the site that explains Ali Sina..... http://www.faithfreedom.com/ali_sina_exposed.html

Regards
Abbas

senfreern

Postby senfreern » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:57 am

did you know that they had an anti baha'i site once..

http://www.answeringbahaullah.com ... it was owned by a muslim.. thankfully it no longer exists!

choogue

Postby choogue » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:09 am

Yeh there are many anti-Bahai, anti-Muslim, anti-Christian sites.

Its kind of annoying when you research in google and these hate sites come up!

Return to “Discussion”