Bahai adopted the best of all religion, especially Hinduism

All research or scholarship questions
bhattathiri

Bahai adopted the best of all religion, especially Hinduism

Postby bhattathiri » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:38 am

It appears that Bahaism has adopted all the goodness of all religion especially hindu religion the oldest and mother of all religions.
The Bhagavad Gita, Holy Koran, and the Holy Bible are among the world's most widely read scriptures. More than half of humanity is guided by the light of these two books. All these scriptures speak of the eternal wisdom and infinite love of God.Lord Jesus Christ said "let He who is chiefest among you be servant to all." Management and leadership founded upon this principle will always find a cadre of people willing to complete the task at hand.

One of the greatest contributions of India to the world is Holy Gita which is most the most famous, and definitely the most widely-read, sacred text of India after Holy Bible. Arjuna got mentally depressed when he saw his relatives with whom he has to fight. The Bhagavad Gita is preached in the battle field Kurukshetra by Lord Krishna to Arjuna as a counseling to do his duty while multitudes of men stood by waiting . It has got all the management tactics to achieve the mental equilibrium and to overcome any crisis situation. The Bhagavad Gita can be experienced as a powerful catalyst for transformation. Bhagavad gita means song of the Spirit, song of the Lord. The Holy Gita has become a secret driving force behind the unfoldment of one's life. In the days of doubt this divine book will support all spiritual search.This divine book will contribute to self reflection, finer feeling and deepen one's inner process. Then life in the world can become a real education—dynamic, full and joyful—no matter what the circumstance. May the wisdom of loving consciousness ever guide us on our journey. What makes the Holy Gita a practical psychology of transformation is that it offers us the tools to connect with our deepest intangible essence and we must learn to participate in the battle of life with right knowledge.

There is no theory to be internalized and applied in this psychology. Ancient practices spontaneously induce what each person needs as the individual and the universal coincide. The work proceeds through intellectual knowledge of the playing field(jnana yoga), emotional devotion to the ideal(bhakti yoga) and right action that includes both feeling and knowledge(karma yoga). With ongoing purification we approach wisdom. The Bhagavad Gita is a message addressed to each and every human individual to help him or her to solve the vexing problem of overcoming the present and progressing towards a bright future. Within its eighteen chapters is revealed a human drama. This is the experience of everyone in this world, the drama of the ascent of man from a state of utter dejection, sorrow and total breakdown and hopelessness to a state of perfect understanding, clarity, renewed strength and triumph.

Management has become a part and parcel of everyday life, be it at home, in the office or factory and in Government. In all organizations, where a group of human beings assemble for a common purpose, management principles come into play through the management of resources, finance and planning, priorities, policies and practice. Management is a systematic way of carrying out activities in any field of human effort.

Its task is to make people capable of joint performance, to make their weaknesses irrelevant, says the Management Guru Peter Drucker. It creates harmony in working together - equilibrium in thoughts and actions, goals and achievements, plans and performance, products and markets. It resolves situations of scarcity, be they in the physical, technical or human fields, through maximum utilization with the minimum available processes to achieve the goal. Lack of management causes disorder, confusion, wastage, delay, destruction and even depression. Managing men, money and materials in the best possible way, according to circumstances and environment, is the most important and essential factor for a successful management.

"We're discovering that what we thought was fine, which was to be more efficient, harder working and richer, doesn't actually lead to the Nirvana we hoped for ... those who are making the most money are not sure it's worth it. Who wants to be rich in the graveyard? And those who aren't making any money think that the world doesn't make sense, because money is supposed to be the only thing worth having and they haven't got any."

“Tomorrow we are going to wake up in a world in which we all need to realise that we are condemned to freedom ... There is no escape. Institutions won't shoulder responsibility because they are in a state of confused flux. There is no church, no nation state, no market to rely on. There are no cut and dried values to use as escape tools ... we are faced with the prospect of taking charge of our own freedom ... responsibility for our own health, for our own education, for our own careers - responsibility for our own lives."

"The recent anti-capitalist protests indicate a growing frustration with the institutional arrangements currently in place. They also, largely, miss the point. Global market capitalism is not a political ideology. It is neither good or bad, right nor wrong - it just is."

dawu d

Postby dawu d » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:51 am

As far as I can tell, the only element of Hinduism the Baha'is have officially embraced is a reverence for Krishna (as one of a number of prophets). While the Baha'is do not have an official position on the Bhagavadgita (unlike the Bible and Qur'an, which they accept), they do use it on a popular level--perhaps for lack of a better alternative source of "Hindu" wisdom. (The Upanisads lack references to Krishna; the Bhagavatapurana and Mahabharata are too mythological and a bit racy.)

What elements of Hinduism do Baha'is not incorporate? The caste system of course, but they are hardly likely to mourn that.

First, Hinduism has goddesses--feminine images of the divine. Baha'is are unsure whether there ever were any prophets, and certain that there could never be any female members of their highest governing body.

Second, Hinduism has often taught that different religions are equal paths to truth. Baha'is teach something a bit like this, but with the crucial qualification that their religion is just a bit more appropriate for the modern age. Liberal Hindus are more likely to agree with the idea that neither Baha'i nor Hinduism is necessarily more advanced than the other, it depends on the individual.

Third, almost all forms of Hinduism teach reincarnation and karma. Baha'i rejects this.

Fourth, one of the defining features of Hinduism is respect for the Vedas as basic sources of spiritual wisdom. The Baha'is have no opinion on the Vedas. On the popular level, I'm sure they would respect them, but in the same way that they would respect the writings of twenty other religions whose "Bibles" are unmentioned in their own writings.

Fifth, Baha'is and Hindus follow different holidays. This may sound like a small thing, but they are ways in which we organize our lives and cultures. Imagine never again celebrating the Nine Nights or the Festival of Lights, except perhaps in the shadow of the Birthday of Baha'u'llah. This makes me think of many other cultural vestiges--language, food, and so on--that are just different. I think that one cannot be subsumed under the other, without irreparable loss.

dawu d

Postby dawu d » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:41 pm

(Oops, I meant to say that Baha'is are unsure whether there have ever been any FEMALE prophets.)

Sixth, the Indian traditions of yoga really have no parallel within the Baha'i tradition. While Baha'is are commanded to pray and study scripture, special traditions of HOW to do so (which Islam has) or lineages of teachers / students (guruparampara in Sankrit, silsila in Arabic) have not been preserved. In fact, I understand that Baha'i teachers are not allowed to promote such practices, for fear that they would become ritualistic, be wrongly seen as officially endorsed, or come across as strange and exotic to outsiders. The result is that their spiritual side receives less priority and emphasis than administrative needs.

This means that a major portion of the Bhagavadgita's content can never be appreciated within Baha'i circles. In this light, can we really say that Baha'i incorporates all that is truly worthwhile about Hinduism

Postby guest » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:39 am

This means that a major portion of the Bhagavadgita's content can never be appreciated within Baha'i circles.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that... I read the Gita growing up and it didn't make a whole lotta sense.. it seemed too esoteric... but after becoming a Bahai' and reading Bahai' Writings, i went back to the Gita and it made quite a lotta sense.. there are plenty of parallels... I just think that Bahai's really haven't delved into the Gita, due to the popularity of Quran and the Bible because they are relatively newer...

Dawud

Postby Dawud » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:16 am

What sense do you see a Baha'i reading as adding, which the preexisting Hindu ones would lack?

Return to “Discussion”