Prayer by Abdu'l-Baha: "O Lord! Open Thou the door"

All research or scholarship questions
Deemetync

Prayer by Abdu'l-Baha: "O Lord! Open Thou the door"

Postby Deemetync » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Greetings!

There is a prayer attributed to 'Abdu'l-Baha which begins "O Lord! Open Thou the door, provide the means, prepare the way, make safe the path, that we may be guided to those whose hearts are prepared..." Is there any source that authenticates this prayer as one authored by 'Abdu'l-Baha?

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:57 am

Welcome Cardmaster,

Doing a search of this site turned up the following:

'O Lord! Open Thou the door....'
An English translation of the first sentence of the prayer submitted by Mr. ... is published in the United States Bahá'í News, May 1973, no. 506, p. 14. As to its authenticity, the opening phrases of this prayer are found in a very long prayer, revealed in Arabic, which is published in Min Makátíb 'Abdu'l-Bahá (Rio de Janeiro: Editora Bahá'í Brasil, 1982), vol. 1, pp. 9-12. However, the remainder of the English translation, starting with 'that we may be guided', is not contained in that prayer, and the Research Department has not been able to locate an original text which could have been used for that translation. Therefore, aside from the opening phrases, the validity of this prayer is questionable.

(at http://bahai-library.com/index.php5?fil ... ching.html )

tipnum

Postby tipnum » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:55 am

I loved saying that prayer until I asked the US NSA about it and was told the same thing as in the previous quote. I had picked up another prayer I liked a lot that was also not authenticated.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 pm

There is no restriction for us saying prayers written by others... We are encouraged to derive the special inspiration and power from the official Writings, but as with poetry, there are many ways to express divine sentiments and we are in no ways restricted from doing so. One famous prayer was written by George Townshend, a Hand of the Cause...

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”