40%
no
60%

Total votes: 5

hihellowhatsup

Pork Eating

Postby hihellowhatsup » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:08 pm

Hi people

I am a recent convert to the Bàhà'i Faith. It has recently come to my attention that Báhà'is eat pork. It all happened at a friend of mines house, who invited me to dinner. He cooked me a whole roast pig, and on that note, I fled. I went to the Local Spiritual Assembly and complained, and they told me that it was acceptable. I don't know how, coming from an Islamic context, Baha'u'llah could allow it, especially since ALL previous Manifestations didn't. If anyone can tell me if this is indeed true, please tell me.

Ciao

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:36 pm

Yes, it is true that pork is not forbidden:

"The eating of pork is not forbidden in the Baha'i Teachings."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, March 27, 1938; quoted in Lights of Guidance, no. 1012)

You can view a little bit about the recommendations given in the Bahá'í Writings about diet: http://bahai9.com/wiki/Diet

I understand that there may be a Tablet explaining the reason for the prohibition of pork in previous Revelations, so, if someone here knows of it, hopefully it can be shared with us or paraphrased in some sense if it is not yet translated.

Brett

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:01 am

If memory serves, Sakyamuni Buddha ate pork when somebody put it in his begging bowl, and died from it!

Amalcas

Postby Amalcas » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:06 pm

You can eat pork, yes, but, to be candid, its probably healthier if you don't. :P
I do eat pork myself, but will probably become vegan in a few years.

Pouria

One reason...

Postby Pouria » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:27 pm

Hello all,

One (provisional) explanation is that Bahá'u'lláh's revelation is a revelation to remove 'unnecessary' traditions of previous dispensations (i.e. 'sacrifice' , 'uncleanliness' of pork, 'uncleanliness' of semen).

Another reason is that just as He reveals in the Most Holy Book (below), through His revelation all things were pronounced 'clean'. Although, the following passage is mainly refering to semen, it also applies to other previously pronounced 'unclean' objects, including pork.

God hath, likewise, as a bounty from His presence, abolished the concept of "uncleanness", whereby divers things and peoples have been held to be impure. He, of a certainty, is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous. Verily, all created things were immersed in the sea of purification when, on that first day of Ridvan, We shed upon the whole of creation the
splendours of Our most excellent Names and Our most exalted Attributes.
-Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 47

Re: One reason...

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:32 pm

Pouria wrote: all things were pronounced 'clean'.... it also applies to other previously pronounced 'unclean' objects, including pork.

Well, it is too literal, nobody could think the pork is "clean", the pork is not clean, but in these times, there is a big improvement of conditions of salubrity including meat.

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:47 am

the problem with pork in the jewish and islamic times/places was that it was too dangerous. as a health risk, if you ate pork youd die.

but now we can cook it right i guess lol. so its repealed

Return to “Discussion”