List of Prophets

All research or scholarship questions
hihellowhatsup

List of Prophets

Postby hihellowhatsup » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:20 pm

Is there a comprehensive list of Prophets/Manifestations on the Internet? I know there used to be one on wiki, but not anymore. If anyone has one.

Thanx

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:43 am

Sorry, we're working through some stuff with the wiki at the moment...

Here is the list adapted from it...

Those following immediately do have confirmation of being Manifestations of God as far as I could find:

Baha'u'llah
The Bab
Muhammad
Christ
Buddha
Zoroaster
Elijah (Elias)
Jonah (Jonas)
Jethro
Moses
Krishna
Joseph
Ishmael (not necessarily the son of Abraham--Ismael)
Lot (Lut)
Abraham (Ibráhím)
David (not King David)
Sálih
Húd
Noah
Founder of Sabaeanism; same as Seth and/or Idrís?)
Idrís (or Hermes, etc.; same as Enoch?)
Abel (indirect statements for)
Adam

The following have some possible evidence stating they were:
Enoch? (same as Idris perhaps)
Seth? (Founder of Sabaeaenism?)
Jacob? (per 'Abdu'l-Baha, some food was forbidden during this time...perhaps a law of the Manifestation?)

The following are additional prophets in the Qur'an, though they are only mentioned as nabi, not the rasul of Manifestations (though they could be):

Elisha?
Dhu'l Kifl?
Isaac?
Aaron? (possibly he was stated as NOT being one, I forget...)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:46 am

Let me know if you need the evidence of why a specific One has been included...

Note, as there are many more than 9, this is different than the 9 existing religions sometimes referred to....We are also not to make too big a deal of highlighting who they are... (perhaps because many others are inspired)

Brett

MWaldie

Postby MWaldie » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:40 am

Hi,

Thanks for the list. Is there any evidence or words about things like The Tao or Dao and Lao Tzu or even Confuscious? There was Shinto and several so called "Pagan" Relgions like Wiccan. Just wondering if there were any mentions. Sorry if this has been posted before just curious as to others who prescribe to these very old religions:) I understand the latter I mentioned have God's and are not monotheistic. But any reference I would love to research.

Mat

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:51 pm

Our Writings state that Lao Zi was not a Prophet, lesser or otherwise. I think there are of course many inspired parallels, however, with the Dao De Jing's emphasis on the Unknowability of the Divine (and depending on how one decides to interpret the verses, other verses as well).

Confucius is extolled in our Writings for being a great moral reformer (but not a Prophet), but even Confucius himself did not claim to be anything more (he said that he did not understand life, how could he understand death)...He explicitly referred to ancient virtues in his writings which perhaps was originally inspired by a Prophet.

Some of the above is covered at http://bahai-library.com/?file=compilat ... aster.html .

It is possible that pagan religions were originally inspired by a Prophet (such as Sabaeanism which our Writings explicitly accept as an originally monotheistic Faith from God), but as with Sabaeaneism, were later corrupted (in this case, into star worship). Actually, our Writings refer in several instances to followers of previous even traditionally recognized monotheistic Faiths as joining partners with God in their added dogmas and failure to recognize the next Messenger(s) and practice in accordance with His Spirit.

However, as our other thread has discussed, the consumer culture in which we now live has led many to the desperate point of deifying nature--something which while we reject, we also see the truth behind the desire to live in harmony with our environment and recognize the signs of God in all things. There is a compilation called "Conservation of Earth's resources", which despite the title, is a broad compilation of relevance and I think of great potential interest to those from such backgrounds.

Another aspect which may be of relevance to those from some pagan backgrounds is the feminine and divine, something which is covered in some depth at http://bahai-library.com/?file=uhj_anci ... igion.html

best wishes,
Brett

MWaldie

Postby MWaldie » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:59 pm

Thank you Brett:)

What a great resource!! On the Taoism and Lao Tzu there is extensive evidence that this was not 1 mans writings so a handed down philosphy has a lot to do with the teachings. But it is very interesting to see what the Bahai faith has said.

I have been researching Sabaeaneism and notice a lot of similiarities to their basic functions and those in more modern so called pagan religions.

Last question if you have the time. How does the faith teach about the Egyptian Pharoah Akhenaten. He taught of one main God. I think the reference you have for Seth has something to do with this?

Sorry this study is new to me but fascinating. And everything you have posted has been of great help:)

Mat

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:42 pm

Dear Mat,

I do not know of any reference to the Egyptian Pharaoh, but it sure was an interesting blip in religious history.

The only real discussion of Seth is mentioned at
http://bahai-library.com/?file=uhj_sabe ... .html#s1.1 (which discusses and is in connection with Sabaeaenism...)

Glad to hear it was of some assistance. Sorry for the lack of availability of the original sites at the moment. Glad to hear someone has been using them! (We've had very few contributors, so I had little idea of how or if it was being used...) The wiki site admittedly has a bit of work to do on the skeleton too...

Brett

hihellowhatsup

Postby hihellowhatsup » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:35 pm

OK....there's a few people that I don't reckognise...Idris, Hud and Salih I've never heard of before...do any of you guys have any info on them?

Also, I've heard John the Baptist was a Manifestation aswell, Jesus being one of his followers. Also I've heard Rama was one too.

Also, on one note; I personally consider Akenaten (the Egyptian Pharoah) to be a Manifestation, considering that he was the first person known to history to come up with the concept of monotheism. The One God he proposed was named Aten, who was a sun God. It is also known that he constucted a huge temple and city in Aten's honor. He baned worship of the other traditional gods in Egypt. Archaeologists have also uncovered a book he wrote. The new religion died at the death of Akhenaten, but he is largley credited for being the catalyst for Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and, no doubt, the Báhá'í Faith. For this reason, some historians consider him the historical Abraham.

MWaldie

Postby MWaldie » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:36 pm

Interesting. I too have a few that I hadnt recognized and they turned out to be a lot of fun to research.

As far as the Pharoah being Abraham. Just dont see it hat way. I suspect a lesser remembered prophet like maybe Adam himself had something to do with it.

Adam=Aten hmmm:)

Ahh the freedom to research and learn and investigate the truth.

I love being a Bahai:)

Mat

brettz9

On Idris

Postby brettz9 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:05 am

On Idris:

"In one of His Tablets Bahá'u'lláh wrote: `The first person who devoted himself to philosophy was Ídrís. Thus was he named. Some called him also Hermes. In every tongue he hath a special name. He it is who hath set forth in every branch of philosophy thorough and convincing statements. After him Bálinus derived his knowledge and sciences from the Hermetic Tablets and most of the philosophers who followed him made their philosophical and scientific discoveries from his words and statements...'. In the Qur'án, Súrá 19, verses 57 and 58, is written: `And commemorate Ídrís in the Book; for he was a man of truth, a Prophet; And we uplifted him to a place on high.'"

(Tablets of Bahá'u'lláh, p. 148)

See http://bahai-library.com/?file=uhj_sabe ... .html#s1.1 for Idrís as a possible Founder of Sabaeanism

See Qur'án 21:85

There is a public WikiPedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/Idris_(prophet).

Idrís has been supposed to be the same as the Biblical Enoch because the following passage from Qur'án 19:57-58 (Rodwell's numbering) mentions, as does Genesis 5:24 for Enoch, the Prophet being taken up on high.

"And commemorate Edris20 in "the Book;" for he was a man of truth, a Prophet:"

"And we uplifted him to a place on high.21"

From Rodwell's notes: "21 Comp. Gen. v. 24, and the tract Derek Erez in Midr. Jalkut, c. 42, where Enoch is reckoned among the nine according to other Talmudists, thirteen (Schroeder's Talm. und Rabb. Judenthum)–individuals who were exempted from death and taken straight to Paradise. It should be observed that both here and Sura xxi. 85, Edris is named after Ismael."

There is also the similarity in their name's etymology, according to Rodwell, as the note to the first of the above verses states:

"20 Enoch. Beidhawi derives the name Edris from the Ar. darasa, to search out, with reference to his knowledge of divine mysteries. The Heb. Enoch, in like manner, means initiated."

As Idrís has been supposed, along with Seth of being a Founder of the ancient Sabeaen religion, and Enoch and Seth are close in Biblical genealogies, this could be another justification for identifying them as the same.

Although the Bible indicates Enoch as the great-grand-father of Noah, the following passage from the Qur'án, which is the only reference to Idrís' genealogy in this Book, does not clarify the relationship (particularly since this passage had grouped Ishmael and other Prophets along with Idrís:

"These are they among the prophets of the posterity of Adam, and among those whom we bare with Noah, and among the posterity of Abraham and Israel,..." (19:59)

brettz9

Hud and Salih

Postby brettz9 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:13 am

"And after Noah the light of the countenance of Húd shone forth above the horizon of creation.  For well-nigh seven hundred years, according to the sayings of men, He exhorted the people to turn their faces and draw nearer unto the Ridván of the divine presence.  What showers of afflictions rained upon Him, until at last His adjurations bore the fruit of increased rebelliousness, and His assiduous endeavours resulted in the wilful blindness of His people.  "And their unbelief shall only increase for the unbelievers their own perdition." {Qur'án 40:5}"

(Bahá'u'lláh, Kitáb-i-Íqán, par. 9)

Surah 11 (at http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/quran/11.html ) of the Qur'an has been given the title of Hud (for its mentions of Him).

See Qur'án 11:61-68, 89 mention Salih as well, as does Baha'u'llah in the Kitab-i-Iqan):

"And after Him there appeared from the Ridván of the Eternal, the Invisible, the holy person of Sálih, Who again summoned the people to the river of everlasting life.  For over a hundred years He admonished them to hold fast unto the commandments of God and eschew that which is forbidden.  His admonitions, however, yielded no fruit, and His pleading proved of no avail.  Several times He retired and lived in seclusion.  All this, although that eternal Beauty was summoning the people to no other than the city of God.  Even as it is revealed: "And unto the tribe of Thamúd We sent their brother Sálih.  `O my people,' said He, `Worship God, ye have none other God beside Him....'  They made reply: `O Sálih, our hopes were fixed on thee until now; forbiddest thou us to worship that which our fathers worshipped?  Truly we misdoubt that whereunto thou callest us as suspicious.'" {Qur'án 11:61, 62}  All this proved fruitless, until at last there went up a great cry, and all fell into utter perdition."

(Bahá'u'lláh, Kitáb-i-Íqán, par. 10)

Darrick Evenson

Re: List of Prophets

Postby Darrick Evenson » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:13 pm

You mean a list of all Prophets, or just the Manifestations of God? The Qur'an lists:

Hud
Salih
Adam
Idris (Enoch?)
Noah
Moses
John (the baptist)
Jesus (of course)
Muhammad

Not sure if "David" is called a Prophet in the Koran or not.

hihellowhatsup wrote:Is there a comprehensive list of Prophets/Manifestations on the Internet? I know there used to be one on wiki, but not anymore. If anyone has one.

Thanx

hihellowhatsup

Postby hihellowhatsup » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:40 pm

You mean a list of all Prophets, or just the Manifestations of God?

I kinda need to know more on Manifestations rather than Prophets. Of the above Manifestations/Prophets, which are Manifestations and which ones are Prophets? Thanx :D :D :D

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:14 pm

Ok, well the list I gave in the second post in this thread indicates those Who are explicitly Manifestations of God...

Brett

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:03 am

My journals are in storage so I can't check to see if this list is more complete than what's already been posted here, but Enoch N. Tanyi compiled a possible chronology of all Manifestations listed in the sacred texts of world religions in his article "The Syrian Prophet(s)," in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 4.3 (Sept.-Dec. 1991). It was the longest list I'd seen.

Christopher Buck also addressed this issue in his long article "Native Messengers of God in Canada?", online with a commentary by William Collins at http://bahai-library.com/?file=buck_nat ... ngers.html . Buck's list is much shorter, it's only from the Baha'i scriptures, but it's still a relevant article and commentary.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:01 pm

One issue to consider though is the following quotation in Sciptures of Previous Dispensations stating, "Regarding your questions: We cannot possibly add names of people we (or anyone else) think might be Lesser Prophets to those found in the Qur'an, the Bible and our own Scriptures. For only these can we consider authentic Books."
    (From a letter dated March 13, 1950 written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer)

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:59 pm

Aaron is not a Prophet, as he was used by Abdul Baha as the example of a prophet.

EDIT: I just now looked at the date :oops:
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:49 am

Hi Zazaban,

Feel free to respond to and resurrect old threads....Actually it may be helpful to others as it gives some additional context...

Can you give a source for Aaron being a lesser prophet instead of a Manifestation?

thanks,
Brett

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:01 am

I'm not sure where, but somewhere in some answered questions (I think) Abdul Baha says that Moses is The mirror reflecting the light of god and Aaron is reflecting the light of Moses or something of that nature.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

palatadvor

Postby palatadvor » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Baha'u'llah
The Bab
Muhammad
Christ
Buddha
Zoroaster
Elijah (Elias)
Jonah (Jonas)
Jethro
Moses
Krishna
Joseph
Ishmael (not necessarily the son of Abraham--Ismael)
Lot (Lut)
Abraham (Ibráhím)
David (not King David)
Sálih
Húd
Noah
Founder of Sabaeanism; same as Seth and/or Idrís?)
Idrís (or Hermes, etc.; same as Enoch?)
Abel (indirect statements for)
Adam

The following have some possible evidence stating they were:
Enoch? (same as Idris perhaps)
Seth? (Founder of Sabaeaenism?)
Jacob? (per 'Abdu'l-Baha, some food was forbidden during this time...perhaps a law of the Manifestation?)

The following are additional prophets in the Qur'an, though they are only mentioned as nabi, not the rasul of Manifestations (though they could be):

Elisha?
Dhu'l Kifl?
Isaac?
Aaron? (possibly he was stated as NOT being one, I forget...)[/quote]

man hindues have 70 crores dieties (god avtaars) whom they pray

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:26 am

Crores dieties? What do you mean by this, Sikhsm? By the way, this listing is not of deities, but previous Manifestations of God. We are also advsied to pray through these Manifestations and not to Them.

best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:11 am

Also, Zazaban, I did not find such a reference to Aaron with a comprehensive search of Some Answered Questions. On the contrary, I found an argument on the internet presenting (as I also confirmed with the original Arabic), that in the Qur'an 19:51, Moses is called a rasul (Manifestation) and nabi (prophet) and in 19:53 Aaron is only called a nabi, but in 20:47, God addresses them in the dual form as rasuls (Arabic has a dual-"you"). The former is probably because a rasul can be a nabi, but a nabi is not necessarily a rasul.

So, it seems He may have actually been a Rasul--leading to the interesting aspect that two successive Manifestations of God was not unique in history (Abraham (Lot), Ishmael, Jacob, and/or Joseph as well as Adam/Abel/Seth/Enoch, though the potency was, as was apparently the case of there being a Herald:

For among the distinguishing features of His Faith ranks, as a further evidence of its uniqueness, the fundamental truth that in the person of its Forerunner, the Báb, every follower of Bahá'u'lláh recognizes not merely an inspired annunciator but a direct Manifestation of God.

(Shoghi Effendi, World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 161)

Despite all this, maybe it is still possible that some Manifestations played a more ancillary role, despite Their being full Manifestations of God--for example, as Baha'u'llah served for some time as a "Disciple" of the Bab.

By the way, the wiki (which links to pages with sources as to the status of Manifestation/prophet is back online (albeit not to public editing) as mentioned in another thread.

Hasan

Postby Hasan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:17 pm

This is what I found about Manifestations of God (also called major Prophets)

Bahá'u'lláh
The Báb
Muhammad
Jesus
Budha
Zoroaster
Moses
Abraham
Enoch
Noah
Krishna
Adam

Possibles:

Wiracocha (Inka - Perú)
Hunabkú (Mayan - Mexico)
etc.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:29 am

Hello Hasan,

Nice to "see" you after a while...

Yes, the list you compiled are all Manifestations, except for Enoch Who is probably a Manifestation, such as if He is the same as Idris. See http://bahai9.com/Idr%C3%ADs

Also, if you visit the list I mentioned in the post before yours ( http://bahai9.com/Prophets ) there is a longer list than this of confirmed Manifestations of God, and with links to the pages that give evidence for Their status as such.

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”