Why leave things for a teacher in the Bahai will ?

All research or scholarship questions
British_Bahai

Why leave things for a teacher in the Bahai will ?

Postby British_Bahai » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:02 pm

Ok, another question! :computer:

I am assuming that this is related to the writing of a bahai will.

3. Inheritance: [the method of dividing the estate is to be applied in cases of intestacy. See item o. in this section]

a. Inheritance falls into the following categories:

1. children: 1,080 out of 2,520 shares
2. husband or wife: 390 out of 2,520 shares
3. father: 330 out of 2,520 shares
4. mother: 270 out of 2,520 shares
5. brother: 210 out of 2,520 shares
6. sister: 150 out of 2,520 shares
7. teacher: 90 out of 2,520 shares

reference - Kitab Aqdas, page 153.
http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/b ... tml#IV.C.3

Here are some of my questions:

Why is the teacher so important?
What type of teacher ? (sunday school, normal school, etc)
can someone please give me more info etc?
thanks in advance :)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:56 pm

In a Tablet, 'Abdu'l-Bahá compares teachers who are involved with the spiritual education of the child to the "spiritual father" who "endoweth his child with everlasting life". He explains that this is the reason that "teachers are listed among the heirs" in the "Law of God".
Bahá'u'lláh specifies the conditions under which the teacher inherits and the share he or she receives (Q and A 33).

(Note 40 to the Kitab-i-Aqdas, http://bahai-library.com/writings/bahau ... tml#note40 )

and

QUESTION: Again inquiry hath been made about the inheritance of the teacher.

ANSWER: If the teacher is not of the people of Bahá, he doth not inherit. Should there be several teachers, the share is to be divided equally amongst them. If the teacher is deceased, his offspring do not inherit his share, but rather two thirds of it revert to the children of the owner of the estate, and the remaining one third to the House of Justice.

best wishes,
Brett

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Oh, and for those not familiar with Baha'i wills, the inheritance system is for the case of intestacy (no will having been left) and Baha'is are free to write their wills as they wish, while bearing in mind the social impotance of wealth.

Also, as I recall (not sure where to find the quote of 'Abdu'l-Baha), the existence of the system was in order to motivate people to write their own wills (with whatever conditions they wish which are socially just).

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”