Sound clip of Shoghi Effendi?

All research or scholarship questions
AdibM

Sound clip of Shoghi Effendi?

Postby AdibM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi friends,

I am aware that there is at least one chant by `Abdu'l-Baha available on cassette (my mother has one somewhere) and that there is also a clip of `Abdu'l-Baha walking "as straight as an arrow," and I am told it's shown only on special occasions. Perhaps we'll see it when they hold conferences all across the country in 2021 for the centennary of `Abdu'l-Baha's passing. :) Or maybe another World Congress, I don't know.

Anyway I am also aware that there is a clip of Shoghi Effendi walking, as seen around 6 minutes into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU51TjTwgHQ

In light of all this information, I was wondering if anyone knows of a sound clip that exists of Shoghi Effendi's voice? And as an aside, is there anywhere on the Internet where I could find that clip of `Abdu'l-Baha walking? I'm very doubtful about it but I might as well ask. :ai17

Thanks.
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

Vaughan

Re: Sound clip of Shoghi Effendi?

Postby Vaughan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am

I asked once when on pilgrimage and was told that as far as they knew there was no sound recording of the voice of Shoghi Effendi.

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Vaughan wrote:I asked once when on pilgrimage and was told that as far as they knew there was no sound recording of the voice of Shoghi Effendi.

There are. I know someone who worked in the Audio/Visual department when he was on service in Haifa. There are recorded speeches and sermons of Shoghi Effendi. He would listen to them.

AdibM

Postby AdibM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Keyvan wrote:
Vaughan wrote:I asked once when on pilgrimage and was told that as far as they knew there was no sound recording of the voice of Shoghi Effendi.

There are. I know someone who worked in the Audio/Visual department when he was on service in Haifa. There are recorded speeches and sermons of Shoghi Effendi. He would listen to them.

Wow, lucky him! I hope we'll be able to hear them one way or another in the future.
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

nharandi

Postby nharandi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 am

I'm quite curious, how did you get ahold of Abdul'Baha's chant?

I'd really like to hear that.

AdibM

Postby AdibM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:50 am

nharandi wrote:I'm quite curious, how did you get ahold of Abdul'Baha's chant?

I'd really like to hear that.

If I remember correctly, my dad actually got it 25 years ago from a man who has now unfortunately been declared a Covenant-breaker. We're not sure exactly where it is but it's somewhere in the house. :lol: I'd really like to get the sound onto a computer from the cassette and then put it up on the Internet for all to hear.

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:54 am

AdibM wrote:If I remember correctly, my dad actually got it 25 years ago from a man who has now unfortunately been declared a Covenant-breaker. We're not sure exactly where it is but it's somewhere in the house. :lol: I'd really like to get the sound onto a computer from the cassette and then put it up on the Internet for all to hear.

I believe there is a statement by Shoghi Effendi that would indicate this should not be done, that neither the movie nor the audio tape of Abdu'l-Baha should be used casually.

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

AdibM

Postby AdibM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 pm

MontanaDon wrote:
AdibM wrote:If I remember correctly, my dad actually got it 25 years ago from a man who has now unfortunately been declared a Covenant-breaker. We're not sure exactly where it is but it's somewhere in the house. :lol: I'd really like to get the sound onto a computer from the cassette and then put it up on the Internet for all to hear.

I believe there is a statement by Shoghi Effendi that would indicate this should not be done, that neither the movie nor the audio tape of Abdu'l-Baha should be used casually.

Don C

Ah, I had figured as much. Thanks.

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I've been told that the video of Abdu'l-Baha has just been placed on the internet. I have sent the person who posted it this citation -

"...the friends to exercise restraint and caution in the use and distribution of the record of the Master's voice. In my view, it should be used only on special occasions and be listened to with the utmost reverence. The dignity of the Cause, I am sure, would suffer from too wide and indiscriminate use of one of the most precious relics of our departed Master."
(From a letter of Shoghi Effendi, November 26, 1923)

1830. Viewing the Film of 'Abdu'l-Baha
"Regarding the use of the Master's film, the greatest care must be exercised lest we cheapen its value by too frequent and indiscriminate exhibition either amongst the believers or the non-Baha'is. Only on special occasions, such as important anniversaries, should the film be shown and its solemn sacred character should be duly emphasized."
Lights of Guidance (153:3, page: [541])
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

AdibM

Postby AdibM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:34 pm

MontanaDon wrote:I've been told that the video of Abdu'l-Baha has just been placed on the internet. I have sent the person who posted it this citation -

"...the friends to exercise restraint and caution in the use and distribution of the record of the Master's voice. In my view, it should be used only on special occasions and be listened to with the utmost reverence. The dignity of the Cause, I am sure, would suffer from too wide and indiscriminate use of one of the most precious relics of our departed Master."
(From a letter of Shoghi Effendi, November 26, 1923)

1830. Viewing the Film of 'Abdu'l-Baha
"Regarding the use of the Master's film, the greatest care must be exercised lest we cheapen its value by too frequent and indiscriminate exhibition either amongst the believers or the non-Baha'is. Only on special occasions, such as important anniversaries, should the film be shown and its solemn sacred character should be duly emphasized."
Lights of Guidance (153:3, page: [541])

I want to personally thank you for taking that initiative and for providing us with these quotes. I will save them for future reference.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 pm

Although this sounds like you are all talking about just a copy of media already in the hands of the institutions (I would presume so for something like this), if you do have some kind of unique recording, the Archive department of your National Spiritual Assembly would surely be interested to have or make a copy.

Return to “Discussion”