Disclaimers

All research or scholarship questions
BritishBahai

Disclaimers

Postby BritishBahai » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:22 pm

I've come across (what I would refer to as) Disclaimers within the original Bahai texts. (I've quoted them at the bottom of my post).
I wanted to get people's opinions and see whether you think this is unique to the Bahai dispensation, because I for one havent come across anything like this in, say, the Bible. Its amazing, because its as though God knows what people are going to do, so any possible ambiguity is safeguarded. Its as though He's saying "Dont even think about it, sunshine". Amazing.
These are two which I noticed just now while I was flicking through my Kitab Aqdas. Im sure there are more.
37 Whoso layeth claim to a Revelation direct from God, ere the expiration of a full thousand years, such a man is assuredly a lying impostor. We pray God that He may graciously assist him to retract and repudiate such claim. Should he repent, God will, no doubt, forgive him. If, however, he persisteth in his error, God will, assuredly, send down one who will deal mercilessly with him. Terrible, indeed, is God in punishing! Whosoever interpreteth this verse otherwise than its obvious meaning is deprived of the Spirit of God and of His mercy which encompasseth all created things. Fear God, and follow not your idle fancies. Nay, rather, follow the bidding of your Lord, the Almighty, the All-Wise. Erelong shall clamorous voices be raised in most lands. Shun them, O My people, and follow not the iniquitous and evil-hearted. This is that of which We gave you forewarning when We were dwelling in 'Iráq, then later while in the Land of Mystery, and now from this Resplendent Spot.

http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/b ... s.html#K37

or
30 The Lord hath ordained that in every city a House of Justice be established wherein shall gather counsellors to the number of Bahá, and should it exceed this number it doth not matter. They should consider themselves as entering the Court of the presence of God, the Exalted, the Most High, and as beholding Him Who is the Unseen. It behoveth them to be the trusted ones of the Merciful among men and to regard themselves as the guardians appointed of God for all that dwell on earth. It is incumbent upon them to take counsel together and to have regard for the interests of the servants of God, for His sake, even as they regard their own interests, and to choose that which is meet and seemly. Thus hath the Lord your God commanded you. Beware lest ye put away that which is clearly revealed in His Tablet. Fear God, O ye that perceive.

http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/b ... s.html#K30
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Photon

Re: Disclaimers

Postby Photon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:39 am

In response to your question, here is a quote which might be interpreted in a similar vein.

Mark 13:21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:
13:22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

The thing that has been is that which will be, and what is done is what is done again: and there is nothing new under the sun.

Return to “Discussion”