Pilgrimage hotels

All research or scholarship questions
dragonaxe

Pilgrimage hotels

Postby dragonaxe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:00 am

Hi all

I suspect this topic has been covered before, but if it has I can't find it, lol.

I am going on nine-day pilgrimage with my wife and three children in October 2009 and would like to know which hotels/guest houses can be recommended. I've had a look at the Dan Panorama, but it's going to be too expensive ($4000 - we need two rooms unfortunately).

Obviously I want to make it as comfortable and pleasant a trip as I can make it and would obviously rather not be staying in a -10 star hostel, so am hoping someone can give me the heads up on where to look next.

Many thanks

BritishBahai

Re: Pilgrimage hotels

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 am

They send you a list of hotels, so dont worry about that.

When I went on my 3-day, I stayed at the Mount Carmel Hotel. When you look at a standard picture of the shrines, inthe background you can see the dan panorama hotel (its in the background on the left).
The Mount Carmel Hotel is along the same road (Derech Ha-Yam --- pronounced "derr khayaam"), but a little further on the right. So its a very short taxi ride to get to the original pilgrim house near the shrine of the Bab. It was a good hotel and because its on top of a hill you get some amazing views.

http://www.mount-carmel.co.il/HTMLs/art ... S110=12575

I cant remember what star hotel it was, maybe a 3 or 4? But the rooms are massive and they have everything. Ive stayed at that hotel twice, and ive never had any problems. The breakfast in the morning is also really good because they have SO much food. The staff are really nice aswell... I cant remember what I needed, but at the time, the man at the front desk reception went into his car to get a screwdriver for me, so theyre really friendly :)
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Truth

Postby Truth » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Oh man, memories. Although i stayed there for only 9 days, by the time we left, i felt like i knew the place so well.

Unfortunetly, i can't remember the place well enough to remember what the hotel name was of the hotel we stayed in! lol! It was okay. Great location, the rooms were a bit meh, but we were only ever there to sleep anyway. If you get one of the higher rooms, you can see the shrine apparently. The only thing was we were told that it would be a good idea not to keep our valuables in the room by people who had stayed there previously.

Anyway, i'll try and find out what the name of it was.

Ahhhh memories. I hope i get to go back some time soon. It's funny, i never valued the experience as much when i was there, as now that i'm not there. Everyone has a different experience though. Lucky you! :D
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

dragonaxe

Postby dragonaxe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:10 am

Thank you both. It will be my (and my childrens) first pilgrimage. It's 11 months away and I'm already getting excited! Jan to September is going to pass really slowly I'm sure :-?

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:27 pm

^ lol, that my be true...
HOWEVER, think of it in another light: you have 11 months to read Door of Hope (by David S. Ruhe) ;-)
Lots of people have said that its a good idea to read that book before going on pilgrimage because it describes the history of the holy places in Haifa and Akka. Ive bought the book and have skim read parts -- its good! There are loads of pictures (unusual ones -- not the typical cliche - "this is a picture of the shrine of the Bab"). Yawn. So if you read it, you will have a better appreciation of the places you'll be visiting. So instead of blindly entering a building, youll know where you are and the significance of the little things. The first time I went to Haifa I went alone, but was as part of a group of 50 people. One of the people pointed out a tree on mount carmel which was oddly placed. He told me that's where Bahaullah pitched his tent. Its nice when you know these little facts

I forgot to mention this earlier: Why not contact the Haifa tourist board. They're always happy to help. They can advise you of some good local hotels which are in your price range.

Good luck

pilgrimbrent

Postby pilgrimbrent » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:43 pm

If you go to http://pilgrimage.bahai.org/ you will find a booklet with current information from the Office of Pilgrimage about reliable hotels and hostels, in three price ranges. When you find one you like you might post questions about it here, to see if anyone's recently stayed there. Lucky you -- Brent

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 am

lol, dragonaxe, i may end up meeting you!
i just received an email from the BWC saying that our names have come to the top of the waiting list and that we have to choose the dates for haifa :D

Return to “Discussion”