Tattoo

All research or scholarship questions
emifinan

Tattoo

Postby emifinan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I can't for the life of me find any Baha'i Writings pertaining to tattoo's. I was asked if Baha'i's are allowed to get them, and realized that I don't really know the answer. Is this written about in the writings? Or is it up to personal choice?

AdibM

Re: Tattoo

Postby AdibM » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:42 pm

emifinan wrote:I can't for the life of me find any Baha'i Writings pertaining to tattoo's.

That's because there are no explicit references to them in the Writings! :lol:

The closest thing we have is the following quote from Baha'u'llah:

Baha'u'llah wrote:The choice of clothing and the cut of the beard and its dressing are left to the discretion of men. But beware, O people, lest ye make yourselves the playthings of the ignorant.

Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 23

Elsewhere in the same work, Baha'u'llah also stresses moderation and advises against carrying any thing to excess.

Therefore, I think the conclusion that can be drawn from the above statements is that tattoos are perfectly fine in the Baha'i Faith, just as long as you keep the principle of moderation in mind and not allow yourself to become a "plaything of the ignorant."
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:10 pm

My personal take is that a quote such as the following (and Adib's point about moderation) might preclude such as full body tattoos, etc. (if a temporary adornment can be beyond moderation, surely a permanent one could too)):

Regarding Baha'i women using facial make-up: individuals are entirely free to do as they please in such purely personal matters. As Baha'is are enjoined to use moderation in all things, and to seek the Golden mean, the N.S.A. can, if it deems it necessary or advisable, counsel the believers to use moderation in this respect also.

( http://www.bahai-library.com/writings/s ... ec-17.html )

In this survey, I see that this quotation was also suggested:

... Beware of using any substance that induceth sluggishness and torpor in the human temple and inflicteth harm upon the body. We, verily, desire for you naught save what shall profit you, and to this bear witness all created things, had ye but ears to hear.

(The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Par. 155, p. 75)

But I also know of no quotations (and I think I recall someone sharing a letter from the House saying to the effect that indeed there is nothing in the Writings about them).

Brett

emifinan

Postby emifinan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Thank you both! I had assumed they were allowed and I figure I must have done a search before I got my tattoo but an adult told me Baha'i's weren't allowed to get tattoo's, so I thought it best to turn to the writings.

I'll save these quotes and show them to our jr. youth group.

David Bowie

Postby David Bowie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:16 pm

I found this on my computer.

David

19 August 2003

Dear Bahá’í Friend,

Your email letter of 17 August 2003 regarding tattoos has been received at the Bahá’í World Centre and referred to our Department for response.

In reply to your enquiry, nothing at all has been found in the Holy Texts on the matter of tattooing. There is, of course, the following general counsel given by Bahá’u’lláh:

Let there be naught in your demeanour of which sound and upright minds would disapprove, and make not yourselves the playthings of the ignorant. Well is it with him who hath adorned himself with the vesture of seemly conduct and a praiseworthy character. (The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, paragraph 159)

Generally, what is appropriate in such matters will clearly vary from culture to culture.

With loving Bahá’í greetings,

Department of the Secretariat

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Great, thanks David! I see you're the go-to guy for unpublished House of Justice letters! :)

I've put it online here: http://bahai-library.com/uhj_permissibility_tattoos

MichaelTChase

Postby MichaelTChase » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm

In "Gate of the Heart" by Nader Saiedi, on page 169: "The Bab even allows the believers to have a tattoo on their bodies: since the heart is the seat of the love of God, the Bab states that it is permitted that the phrase "O Thou My God"(Allahumma), for males, and "the Most Gracious"(ar-Rahman), for females, be inscribed on their chests, in the most beautiful of calligraphy."

MichaelTChase

Postby MichaelTChase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 am

In the KitabiAqdas: we are to attire:
Our heads with trustworthiness and fidelity (mark for a thief)
Hearts with fear of God (Allahumma)
Bodies with courtesy (my original tattoo thought - if my sister has a tattoo, then I should be like her)
http://www.bahai.org/r/442263064

Return to “Discussion”