"Ghosts" - cant find any references in the Baha'i

All research or scholarship questions

"Ghosts" - cant find any references in the Baha'i

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:09 am

I was wondering whether anyone has come accross any references in the Baha'i Writings to the existance / nature of ghosts? I can't find anything at in and have never even heard of anything existing which discusses this.

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:25 am

Here are some quotations from the compilation, Lights of Guidance:

"Regarding your question as to the meaning of Jin or Genii referred to in the Qur'an, these are not beings or creatures that are actually living, but are symbolic references to the power of men of evil and may be likened to evil spirits. But the point to bear in mind is that these have no positive existence of any kind."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Guardian to an individual believer,
June 26, 1936: Bahá'í News, No. 105, p. 1, February 1937; in Lights of Guidance, no. 1667)

"As to the question of evil spirits, demons and monsters, any references made to them in the Holy Books have symbolic meaning. What is currently known among the public is but sheer superstition."

(From a Tablet of Abdu'l-Bahá: Spiritualism and Psychic Phenomena, p. 3; in Lights of Guidance, no. 1731)

"You have asked regarding the influence of evil spirits. Evil spirits are deprived of eternal life. How then can they exercise any influence? But as eternal life is ordained for holy spirits, therefore their influence exists in all the divine worlds."

(From a Tablet of Abdu'l-Bahá to Mrs. Ella Goodall Cooper: Daily Lessons Received at Akka, p. 78, 1979 ed.; in Lights of Guidance, no. 1732)

"The Guardian thinks that it is best to assume that generally speaking when people claim they are receiving messages or communications from the Master or Bahá'u'lláh, etc., it is a psychic experience or their imagination, and that they are not in real contact with them. These Holy Beings have the channels of the Cause through which to guide us. They do not need to go outside these and send individual revelations."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated December 22, 1947, to an individual believer: Ibid., p. 3; in Lights of Guidance, no. 1743)

"Outside of the Bounty of the Holy Spirit all that thou hearest concerning mesmerism or trumpet communications from the dead are sheer imagination."

(Abdu'l-Bahá, Tablet to Ella Goodall Cooper: Daily Lessons Received at Akka, p. 85, 1976 ed.; in Lights of Guidance, no. 1761)

best wishes,
Brett

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:08 am

Great post, Brettz.

Also, if you want to do research in Bahai literature, dont search for "ghosts", search for "spirits".

Return to “Discussion”