Questions from a Christian

All research or scholarship questions
Omid Townsend

Questions from a Christian

Postby Omid Townsend » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:30 pm

I went to church a few weeks ago and I met Jordan. He is a youth about 17 or 18. He asked me some questions and I gave him the basics. He emailed me out of the blue with these questions...figured lets post the best answers and email them back to him.

This is the e-mail...

Lets do it together!

Hello,

I am Jordan Chew, I met you when you visited Metro Life Church. You had began to share with me about the Baha' i faith. I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions, if not I understand?

How does Judaism, Christianity, and Islam effect the religion of Baha' i? What key principles of each of these religions are incorporated? I know that you had said that unity among all religions is a main belief of Baha' i, but in what specific ways has it been shaped by these three religions?

What is one or some of the most significant rituals/holy days/ theological realities? Why so, why are they significant?

What are the uppermost ideas you would like to convey to an "outside" audience about the Baha' i faith so that it might be better understood by them?

What does it mean to be part of the Baha'i? What is "required?" Is that card you gave me your mission statement?

Also when is are your services held? I know Liz had said something about one this week or the next. Is it possible to attend?

Thank you very, very much for your help and I appreciate you taking the time to look at this email and I look forward to learning more!

Thanks,

Jordan Chew

Re: Questions from a Christian

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:16 pm

Omid Townsend wrote:

Hello,

I am Jordan Chew, I met you when you visited Metro Life Church. You had began to share with me about the Baha' i faith. I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions, if not I understand?

How does Judaism, Christianity, and Islam effect the religion of Baha' i? What key principles of each of these religions are incorporated?

DARRICK: All the doctrines of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam that are found in the Holy Texts of those religions are incorporated into the Baha'i Faith. However, many of the laws and ordinances or rituals or those religions have been abrogated, and are not found in the Faith; for example, Passover meals, baptism, confession, etc. But every eternal doctrine found in the Holy Texts of those religions are found in the Baha'i Faith.

I know that you had said that unity among all religions is a main belief of Baha' i, but in what specific ways has it been shaped by these three religions?

DARRICK: No unity of "all" religions, but the unity of the Revealed Religions; the religions revealed by true Messengers of God. Not all religions are "true". The "Unity" means not physical unity, but Divine Oness; that these Revelations all come from One Source, and are all ultimately "One".

What is one or some of the most significant rituals/holy days/ theological realities? Why so, why are they significant?

DARRICK: That would take a 500 page book! If you want to learn more go to a Baha'i Fireside. You can't learn it all in one letter.

What are the uppermost ideas you would like to convey to an "outside" audience about the Baha' i faith so that it might be better understood by them?

DARRICK: Baha'u'llah is God the Father, the Spirit of Truth.

What does it mean to be part of the Baha'i? What is "required?" Is that card you gave me your mission statement?

DARRICK: Go to a Fireside and findout. Call 1-800-22-UNITE to find a Baha'i Fireside near you. It's an informal 90 minute meeing.

Return to “Discussion”