converting

All research or scholarship questions
arent

converting

Postby arent » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:32 pm

I am thirteen years old and am not Baha'i. I was introduced to the Baha'i Faith from a friend, and I wanted to learn a little bit more about it. I checked out a book from the library that was written by two non-Baha'i, and was intrigued. How does one go about converting, and where can one buy books that are important to Baha'is. Also, where can I obtain a Baha'i calendar?

majnun

Postby majnun » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:57 pm

Second question: concerning books
The baha’i literature is easily obtained in a baha’i center near your home.
If not, on this website you can find them, then print and read outloud (not shouted), possibly in the morning, in the privacy of your room. I suggest you recite (read outloud) about 15 minutes in the morning before going to school, then 15 minutes before or after suppertime. If the evening recitation disturb your natural sleep, or makes you think to much, then drop the evening recitation. The baha’i text is recited in the same way as muslims recite the Qur’an every day. The reasons for this discipline is explained somewhere in the texts themselves. During the days, you will feel what effect the text does to your person. Stop reciting when you feel you have enough for that day.

Here is a small list of books, some have a few pages long, some other longer,
in the logical order they were given, according with the year they were written,
the English title, the oriental title, and the number of words they contain.

1857 THE SEVEN VALLEYS (Haft Vádi) 10K
1857 THE FOUR VALLEYS (Chahár Vádí) 4K
1858 THE HIDDEN WORDS (from arabic) 3K
1858 THE HIDDEN WORDS (from persian, Kalimát-i-Maknúnih) 6K
1862 GEMS (Javahiru'l-Asrar) ( published in english in 2002) 19 K
1862 THE BOOK OF CERTITUDE (Kitáb-i-Íqán) 60K

If a baha’I center is near your home, they will guide you better than I.
There are many more.

First question : about converting.
any major personal decision about yourself in this matter is not
an urgency. Let time and reflexion, your inner feelings guide you.

After you recite those texts, you alone will know what they do to you.
Your own eyes should tell you in a while what to do from then on.

By the way, what was that book that spiked your interest ?

Claude

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 am

The larger Baha'i bookstores do have books suitable for teenagers. Let me see if I can find one of their sites on-line. I remember one book that was told from the perspective of a teenager who converted. Since she was under 18, she had to get the permission of her parents (who the Baha'is invited to dinner, so they could check these strange people out!).

I'm not sure if this is the usual requirement (probably is), but talking it over with your parents sounds like a good idea in any case. If your parents already belong to a religion, consider continuing to explore your own religious tradition too. As you probably know, Baha'i respects all the different religions and their prophets. If you later decide not to change religions, no biggie.

Jonah
Site Admin

Introductory books

Postby Jonah » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:28 am

Welcome! Also check out the Introductory books online, http://bahai-library.com/?file=introductory_information . This is one by an historian: http://bahai-library.com/?file=momen_sh ... ion_bahais . Here's another common one people share: http://bahai-library.com/?file=fatheazam_new_garden

Dawud

Postby Dawud » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:37 am

And here is a website on Bahaism from a Christian point of view. With many links to ex-Baha'is, critics, and so on. (For the democratic response.)

http://www.bahai-faith.com/

Pilosofia

To Dawud

Postby Pilosofia » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Now really Dawud, is this what a seeker really needs? I checked the
website you posted and in my opinion it is far too confusing (well anyway
to me)
Peace. :wink:

Dawud

Postby Dawud » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:32 pm

Not for all the Christian evangelical stuff, or his "write one verse like it" experiment in writing a new revelation, but he has good links to dissidents and critics. Know of a better site for this? Anyway, a clever seeker should be able to find his way around it without too much trouble.

Pilosofia

To Dawud

Postby Pilosofia » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:14 pm

For myself I agree with you Dawud. I worked with many missions on
helping teens and learned one needs to have more patience and
understanding, many teens are under great stress and are confused
and need that loving,sincere help from those they seek help from.
Anyhow I spoke from experience, not from book knowledge.
Peace be unto you as always.
:)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:07 pm

Arent,

How wonderful a young person such as yourself is interested in spirituality and religion! Take it as a wonderful compliment from the universe that you have been gifted with a soul and mind that is capable of such a decision and interest at such an early age!

One becomes a Baha'i at whatever moment he or she believes in their heart that Baha'u'llah is a Manifestation of God. That's all it takes. You may already be a Baha'i!

There is a procedure by which a person "enrolls" in the Baha'i Faith. In most countries there is a card one fills out called a "Delaration Card" on which one signs his name "declaring" himself as a Baha'i, and acknowledging his belief in Baha'u'llah, and understanding that there are laws to be obeyed and Insitutions to give allegience to (these being the Local Spiritual Assemblies, the National Spiritual Assemblies, and Universal House of Justice). That card is then given to the nearest Local Spiritual Assembly in your area. But really, you are a Baha'i the moment you believe in Baha'u'llah!

I know many young people have parents that are trying to raise them to be a particular religion. And while Baha'u'llah has said that no family member has a right to force another to be a particular religion, He has also told us that we must obey are parents and respect them. If for some reason your parents don't want you to become a Baha'i :cry: , you should respect them and officially join the Faith when you get a little older (but really no one can tell you what is in your heart anyway, so even if you have to wait a while, you can still be a Baha'i inside your soul :D ). But hopefully your parents are encouraging you to seek the Truth in all places and will be supportive of your interest in the Baha'i Faith.

You can easily buy official Baha'i books and Baha'i Scripture (and probably calendars too) from:
http://www.bahaibookstore.com/

If you don't have money to buy books, or you can't wait to start reading, you can find most all of the important Baha'i books online to read or download onto your computer at:
http://reference.bahai.org/en/

And you can find accurate information about the Baha'i Faith from an official informational website at:
http://www.bahai.org/

You can also find many local Baha'i communities with small lending libraries and bookstores of their own (many local Baha'i communities have listings in the white pages phone books).

Oh, and there is a special offical Baha'i website for young people at:
http://www.bahaiyouth.com/

If your friend is a Baha'i he or she can probably introduce you to other Baha'is in the area who might have books you can borrow.

As well as reading books "about" the Baha'i Faith by Baha'is and non-Baha'is which you have already done, I urge you to read some of the Scripture of the Baha'i Faith, the actual Writings of Baha'u'llah and 'Abdu'l-Baha (especially "The Hidden Words" and "Some Answered Questions"). And definately get a copy of a Baha'i Prayerbook and read prayers every day and see how they make you feel happier and able to treat people nicer, and how you don't get upset at things so much. In otherwords, the proof in the Baha'i Faith is found in how Baha'u'llah's Writings change you for the better. It's called "the Creative Word" because it can recreate you into a better happier person! ;)

You should know that you will find people that want to help you, and you will find people that want to stop you from seeking the Truth. Just smile and thank them all and continue on your own personal journey of discovery!

Good luck on your journey!

-jpd

Return to “Discussion”