Baha'i colours??

All research or scholarship questions
Masi

Baha'i colours??

Postby Masi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:00 pm

I have been looking for any references in the Baha'i literature to colours with little success. Does anyone know where to find references to colours. Especially the significance of the colours used in the design of the Shrine of the Bab and the terraces?

Will appreciate your help.

Masi

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:20 pm

Dear Masi,

The Hand of the Cause of God, Ugo Giachery, for whom one of the gates or doors of the Shrine was named, has written a book on Shoghi Effendi (I believe entitled "Shoghi Effendi") in which he describes in good detail much of the architecture and significance behind the Shrine. You might find good detail there on this subject.

I had recently come across this quotation in Mahmúd's Diary:

One of the explanations given today concerned the meaning of the Tablets of chrysolite mentioned in the Hidden Words,197 about which one of the friends had asked. The Master replied:

What is meant is one of the holy Tablets. But it also alludes to the fact that the divine Tablets should be engraved on precious stones. In addition, there is a saying in the East by which the color white symbolizes divine will; red, divine decree and martyrdom; green, predestination; and yellow, execution of the decree.

(Mahmúd's Diary, p. 164)

As you may know, the descendants of Muhammad would also wear green turbans as did the Báb (not sure the reasoning).

best wishes,
Brett

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:45 am

This is all I know of: <a href=http://irfancolloquia.org/48/lambden_kaleidoscope>Kaleidoscope: Angelology and Colour Mysticism in Babi-Baha'i Scripture</a>, by Stephen Lambden. It's not online, but I could provide it privately by request.

-Jonah

Dawud

Postby Dawud » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:49 am

The Babis seem to have liked wearing white, and avoided wearing black. How they reconciled this with their waving of the the Black Flag of the Qa'im, I couldn't say.

Return to “Discussion”