Number of Bahai's worldwide?

All research or scholarship questions
Badnaz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:47 am

Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby Badnaz » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:52 am

Dear All,

Ten years ago it was mentioned that there are around 5-6 million Bahai's world wide and even though we all know that the number has grown since then, yet there are newly Bahai books printed with the same estimated figure!

May I know if there are any new statistics in regards to the number of Bahai's world wide?

Loving greetings,
Badi Nazerian

BritishBahai
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby BritishBahai » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 am

i see what youre saying, but for there to be a notable increase then that means that there would have been over a MILLION people declaring as a bahai...lol...

although there have been thousands of people becoming bahais (im sure u know im not overexaggerating), i just dont think that a million people havent declared within 10 years

those are my thoughts on it, anyway...
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

Sen McGlinn
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 7:11 am
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby Sen McGlinn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:19 am

Badnaz wrote:Dear All,

Ten years ago it was mentioned that there are around 5-6 million Bahai's world wide and even though we all know that the number has grown since then, yet there are newly Bahai books printed with the same estimated figure!

May I know if there are any new statistics in regards to the number of Bahai's world wide?

Loving greetings,
Badi Nazerian


I doubt there are 5 or 6 million. We know the Faith has grown, but we seldom hear when it shrinks, and in several countries I know if, it has been shrinking. We quite often hear about or meet Bahais from other countries - but how often do you hear of a Bahai from India?

Not to worry: a study of early Christian history makes one philosophical about such ups and downs

Sen

BritishBahai
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: UK

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby BritishBahai » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Sen McGlinn wrote:I doubt there are 5 or 6 million. We know the Faith has grown, but we seldom hear when it shrinks, and in several countries I know if, it has been shrinking. We quite often hear about or meet Bahais from other countries - but how often do you hear of a Bahai from India?

You're the only one who has ever said such a thing.

I know at least 5 Bahais from India. Possibly more.
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

coatofmanycolours
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: near Niagara Falls, Canada
Contact:

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby coatofmanycolours » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:53 pm

We are the Bahá'ís of India - members of the largest Bahá'í Community of the world,
numbering some 2.2 Million. Associated with the central figures of the Bahá'í Faith from
its very inception in 1844, the Bahá'ís in India today live in over 10,000 localities spread
all over the country. There are 29 State & Union Territories and about 900 Local
governing bodies that are actively working for communal harmony, unity of religion and
unity of mankind. The Bahá'í literature exists in all the major languages of the country.

Thousands of visitors from all parts of the country and all around the world enter the
portals of the Bahá'í House of Worship situated at New Delhi, popularly known as the
Lotus Temple.

The Bahá'í Writings state that at the core of religion is that "mystic feeling which unites
man with God." The Bahá'í Communities hold regular devotional meetings, children moral
classes and study circles to infuse divine inspiration in all their undertakings. The Bahá'í Schools
and other Socio-economic development Institutions in India have been recognised world wide
for their contribution to value based Universal Education, upliftment of women and community
development thus laying the foundations for a New World Order based on equality and justice
for the prosperity of humankind.

You are welcome to learn more about our Faith that Mahatma Gandhi had fondly described as
"a solace to mankind" and about which Dr. S. Radhakrishnan was quoted as saying,
"The Bahá'í Movement is a sign of our times... It (The Bahá'í Movement) is in keeping with the
great spiritual tradition of India and I therefore welcome it and wish it well."

thanks to:

http://www.bahaindia.org/

coatofmanycolours
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: near Niagara Falls, Canada
Contact:

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby coatofmanycolours » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

also:

http://www.bahai.in/

The Official Website of the Baha'is of India

I have had friends live and travel to India. For me, it is one of the brightest spots on
the planet for the progress of the Baha'i teachings. It warms my heart to know of
diverse communities of men and women consulting together to make real change
in their way of life. Old prejudices steadily fade away with the effect that much
potential is released by people who, formerly, might not have interacted together as
equals.

-Peter

Keyvan
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby Keyvan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Trying to get a current headcount is like trying to shoot a moving target. id love to know the answer, but I think its more practical (and useful) try to track the rate of growth, and projected exponential growth of that rate over time, than it is to try to track a ballpark figure for how many people on earth call themselves active Baha'i's, at least right now.

I think were headed in a better direction for that though. The US Baha'i National Center recently launched "My Page" which allows every enrolled Baha'i to instantaneously update their own personal information with the BNC online. This is a big step up from the old days of just giving someone a card and possibly never hearing from them again - not knowing if they left, or moved, or died, or what. I think over time that will lead us to find a more real time and accurate headcount. I imagine this system will be adopted in Baha'i Communities all over the world in due time as well.

Keyvan
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby Keyvan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 pm

As for India, I read somewhere (cant verify) that most live in more rural and/or relatively disenfranchised areas. So they are there, but most just don't exactly have the opportunity to get out of the country and visit Baha'i communities around the world, or have computers and broadband to participate in online communities and discussion.

AdibM
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby AdibM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:06 am

Keyvan wrote:As for India, I read somewhere (cant verify) that most live in more rural and/or relatively disenfranchised areas. So they are there, but most just don't exactly have the opportunity to get out of the country and visit Baha'i communities around the world, or have computers and broadband to participate in online communities and discussion.


I think this might also be the case for Iran nowadays. Many Iranians tell me that 300,000 Baha'is is a figure of the past for that country and that the number has greatly increased since the last statistic. I even remember one remarking that when he used to go to the bazaars, he would always hear "Allah'u'akbar" but these days he tends to hear more of "Allah'u'abha"! :lol:
"To be a Bahá'í simply means to love all the world; to love humanity and try to serve it; to work for universal peace and universal brotherhood." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

Keyvan
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:58 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Number of Bahai's worldwide?

Postby Keyvan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:02 pm

AdibM wrote:
Keyvan wrote:As for India, I read somewhere (cant verify) that most live in more rural and/or relatively disenfranchised areas. So they are there, but most just don't exactly have the opportunity to get out of the country and visit Baha'i communities around the world, or have computers and broadband to participate in online communities and discussion.


I think this might also be the case for Iran nowadays. Many Iranians tell me that 300,000 Baha'is is a figure of the past for that country and that the number has greatly increased since the last statistic. I even remember one remarking that when he used to go to the bazaars, he would always hear "Allah'u'akbar" but these days he tends to hear more of "Allah'u'abha"! :lol:



This is a very good topic in itself. The population of Iran doubled since that 300,000 number was taken in the 70's. Also some say there are millions of Iranians thirsting to convert as soon as its safe/possible.


Return to “Discussion”