Daily Baha'i activities for spiritual growth

All research or scholarship questions
Ian Mayes

Daily Baha'i activities for spiritual growth

Postby Ian Mayes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 am

Hey all,

I am trying to get clarity on what exactly are all of the required daily that Baha'is are to do each day to foster our spiritual growth. Based on the recent document that Brett posts entitled "The essential requisites for our spiritual growth" I was able to get a list of six such activities. I then added a seventh one that was left out - the recital of Alláh-u-Abhá 95 times a day.

Here is the list with this in mind:

1. The recital each day of one of three prescribed Obligatory Prayers with purehearted devotion while facing the Qiblih, preceded by ablutions.

2. The regular reading of the Sacred Scriptures, specifically at least each morning and evening, with reverence, attention and thought.

3. Prayerful meditation on the teachings, so that we may understand them more deeply, fulfill them more faithfully, and convey them more accurately to others.

4. Striving every day to bring our behavior more into accordance with the high standards that are set forth in the Teachings.

5. Teaching the Cause of God.

6. Selfless service in the work of the Cause and in the carrying on of our trade or profession.

7. The recital of the Greatest Name (Alláh-u-Abhá) 95 times per day with purehearted devotion

I wonder - do any of you know of anything else that was left out or could be added to this, as far as the daily personal life as a Baha'i goes?

Thanks, and I am wishing you all the best!

- Ian

coatofmanycolours

Re: Daily Baha'i activities for spiritual growth

Postby coatofmanycolours » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 am

To have a pure, kindly and radiant heart.

-Peter

O SON OF SPIRIT! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart,
that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting. -Baha'u'llah

Ian Mayes

Postby Ian Mayes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Peter,

That is more of a general quality to have in life, as opposed to a specific practice to be carried out daily.

- Ian

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Hello Ian and all,

Well that letter was written before the 95 'Allah'u'Abhas was applicable in the West, so maybe it would be added to the list now (though maybe by "essential" they particularly wanted to drive home those 6 points), but I'd be hesitant for us to try to authoritatively tack something on to a list prepared on behalf of the House of Justice. However, I don't think this list was meant to be in any way exhaustive (it was emphasizing the "essential" requisites, it was written to a particular audience at a particular time, and some of its topics could subsume other topics), so I agree with the general idea and impulse to find out any other such basic practices.

If you were interested to see a list of other spiritual duties or activities which have been mentioned in a daily context, you can see this page I started a while back at http://bahai9.com/Patterns_of_Activity_-_Daily , but keeping in mind a huge disclaimer that some of these items may not at all have been intended to become part of a fixed ritual for all places for all time (e.g., the children's school arrangements). I just included them because I'm a bit of an organization nut, and liked to see all related bits from the Writings arranged in one place like that.

(I also started a page for weekly activities, but didn't get to the 19-day, yearly, 19-year, etc. ones)

As you can see there, I think the only other individual practices mentioned in a daily context are bringing oneself to account each day (actually the morning is mentioned for this), and reciting "Ya Baha'u'l-Abha!" upon waking and at sleep-time. Again, especially the latter is not a fixed law, but personally I find it very natural.

all the best,
Brett

Ian Mayes

Postby Ian Mayes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Heya Brett,

Wow - I am so impressed and grateful for all of the different resources that you just linked to here!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

I guess that your sense of organization and completeness really speaks to my own!

- Ian

Return to “Discussion”