Parting words

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Parting words

Postby brettz9 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:34 pm

Dear all,

I will be off the discussion forum radar for an indefinite amount of time, so I wanted to wish my best to all the participants and visitors here.

I wanted to leave you with a few quotations which often come to mind, especially in online forums, as essential moral truths for us to strive to abide by:

O SON OF DUST!

Verily I say unto thee: Of all men the most negligent is he that disputeth idly and seeketh to advance himself over his brother. Say, O brethren! Let deeds, not words, be your adorning.

(Bahá'u'lláh, Hidden Words, from the Persian, no. 5)

In accordance with the divine teachings in this glorious dispensation we should not belittle anyone and call him ignorant, saying: `You know not, but I know'. Rather, we should look upon others with respect, and when attempting to explain and demonstrate, we should speak as if we are investigating the truth, saying: `Here these things are before us. Let us investigate to determine where and in what form the truth can be found.' The teacher should not consider himself as learned and others ignorant. Such a thought breedeth pride, and pride is not conducive to influence. The teacher should not see in himself any superiority; he should speak with the utmost kindliness, lowliness and humility, for such speech exerteth influence and educateth the souls.

('Abdu'l-Bahá, Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, sec. 15)

Do not argue with anyone, and be wary of disputation. Speak out the truth. If your hearer accepteth, the aim is achieved. If he is obdurate, you should leave him to himself, and place your trust in God. Such is the quality of those who are firm in the Covenant.

('Abdu'l-Bahá, from a Tablet- translated from the Persian, emphasis added, Guidelines for Teaching, no. 1926)

take good care all,
Brett

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:48 pm

Good quotes, they are most appropriate. They speak to all of us. I take it you are leaving the message board. 321 posts—not bad.

Good luck!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:36 pm

thanks very much...

best wishes to you,
Brett

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:20 pm

Let me express a public thank you for all of your work on the Baha'i Library over the last few years, Brett. You've almost single-handedly kept it and the Forum alive while I've been busy with our young kids. I know you'll be out of internet contact for a while, but I also know that you'll be back -- you've got too much energy and too many ideas to stay away long -- and I'll do my best to hold things together in your absence.

Please accept my best wishes for wherever your travels take you.

-Jonah

Pilosofia

To brettz9

Postby Pilosofia » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:36 pm

I too have left various Bahai Forums and returned months or a year later.
I have appreciated very much your replies and posts. I still believe
however having a forum where people meet face to face talking and
sharing different views. But, this is an electronic age and many rather
work the email waves which fits nicely into the busy lives many of us
having to balance. Best to you my friend. :wink:
Pilosofia

Return to “Discussion”