what is the inscription on the Guardian's tomb in London?

All research or scholarship questions
moyo

what is the inscription on the Guardian's tomb in London?

Postby moyo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:01 pm

Can everybody tells what he knows about the tomb of the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith in London ?

I'd never visit it personnaly but I know there is an eagle on the top who has been stolen in past years - there is a map of Africa or the direction of the eagle is Africa

I'm curious to know what are the words of the inscription graved on the pillar...

Thank you.

tipnum

Postby tipnum » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:51 pm

Can everybody tells what he knows about the tomb of the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith in London ?

A replacement eagle now sits on top of the pilar. The resting place is surrounded by a low fence and the gate is open only when there are cemetary workers around.

There are a small number of gavesites of local Baha'is within the enclosure and many other Baha'is buried nearby.

I'm affraid that I don't remember what is written on the pillar.

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:07 pm

moyo wrote:I'm curious to know what are the words of the inscription graved on the pillar...

I have taken lots of photos of the inscription but cant remember where ive saved them :roll:
Once I find it, I will type it out for you

iranpour

Re: what is the inscription on the Guardian's tomb in London

Postby iranpour » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:44 am

moyo wrote:
I'm curious to know what are the words of the inscription graved on the pillar...

A verse from Isaiah as follows:

But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. –Isaiah, 40:31.

“Shoghí Effendí Rabbání (born March 1, 1897 in 'Akka - November 4, 1957), better known as Shoghi Effendi, was the Guardian and appointed head of the Bahá'í Faith from 1921 until his death in 1957. After the death of `Abdu'l-Bahá in 1921, the leadership of the Bahá'í community entered a new phase, evolving from that of a single individual to an administrative order with executive and legislative branches, the head of each being the Guardianship and the Universal House of Justice. Shoghi Effendi was referred to as the Guardian, and held the explicit authority to interpret the writings of the three central figures of the religion and define the sphere of legislative authority. His writings are effectively limited to commentaries on the works of the central figures, and broad directives for the future”.

BritishBahai

Re:

Postby BritishBahai » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

BritishBahai wrote:
moyo wrote:I'm curious to know what are the words of the inscription graved on the pillar...
I have taken lots of photos of the inscription but cant remember where ive saved them :roll:
Once I find it, I will type it out for you

Sorry - I forgot about posting this! :mute:

Here it is:
(Note - the text on the pillar is all in caps)

BEHOLD! HE IS THE BLEST
AND SACRED BOUGH THAT HAS
BRANCHED OUT FROM THE
TWIN HOLY TREES. WELL IS IT
WITH HIM THAT SEEKETH THE
SHELTER OF HIS SHADE THAT
SHADOWETH ALL MANKIND

-ABDU’L-BAHA

Im not sure how to upload photos with messages. If I find out a way, I will post the picture if you want
Last edited by BritishBahai on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

MontanaDon

Re: what is the inscription on the Guardian's tomb in London

Postby MontanaDon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 pm

jonah now has a photo of the quote at

http://bahai-library.com/images/g/grave ... ffendi.jpg

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Return to “Discussion”