Picture of Bahá´u´lláh online. What does UHJ say about this?

All research or scholarship questions
shm

Postby shm » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

I dont get it, if we are allowed to look at the picture of Bahaullah thats somewhere on the internet, how come the NSA would tell u that u cant show other people Bahaullah's picture.????

Also if its permissible to look at Bahaullah's picture which someone else whether Bahai or non Bahai posted on the internet, how come an official Bahai website, a respected Bahai website like bahai.org or something doesnt put Bahaullah's picture so that people can see his picture if we are allowed to look at it.?????????

Also how come nobody has ever displayed Bahaullah's or the Bab's picture on special occasion since the House says its ok to do so????

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 pm

We are not allowed to post it on the internet, because that would, clearly I think, fall under the category of "distributing".

When I got in trouble, so to speak, I had put the photos (2 photographs and 1 painting) on a private password-protected page and only gave the password to friends, upon request. Inevitably, that password was forwarded to the NSA. And once the password was forwarded, to anyone, then I agree that the photos were being "distributed".

I'm not offering my own interpretations, BTW. Some of this comes from the writings of Shoghi Effend, some from letters from the House to individuals, and some from my own correspondence with the US office of Research.
how come nobody has ever displayed Bahaullah's or the Bab's picture on special occasion

I'm drawing on my own often-faulty memory here, but I believe one of the photos has been shown on special occasions like the inaugurating of Houses of Worship. And of course it can be seen on pilgrimage.

-Jonah

shm

AbdulBaha film, where can you see it?

Postby shm » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:31 am

I have heard that there is a video footage of AbdulBaha. Does anybody know where I can find this video , and if it is possible to get it off the internet. I have looked everywhere for it and cannot find it

Thank you, Ill very much appreciate it

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:23 pm

shm wrote:I dont get it, if we are allowed to look at the picture of Bahaullah thats somewhere on the internet, how come the NSA would tell u that u cant show other people Bahaullah's picture.????

says who?! we're not!!

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:30 pm

shm wrote:Also if its permissible to look at Bahaullah's picture which someone else whether Bahai or non Bahai posted on the internet, how come an official Bahai website, a respected Bahai website like bahai.org or something doesnt put Bahaullah's picture so that people can see his picture if we are allowed to look at it.?????????

Also how come nobody has ever displayed Bahaullah's or the Bab's picture on special occasion since the House says its ok to do so????

(source - http://bahai-library.com/uhj/cbreakers. ... html#part2)

Part Two: Response from the Universal House of Justice

THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF JUSTICE
BAHA'I WORLD CENTRE
Department of the Secretariat

June 26, 1980

Mr. xxxx,

Dear Baha'i Friend,

[Personal greetings deleted...] The House of Justice requests us to reply to your questions as follows.

It is apparent in letters written on behalf of the Guardian that he did not approve the publication of any photograph of Baha'u'llah, and regarded such publication to be offensive to religious feeling. Nor did he approve that the photograph be exposed openly to the public, even in Baha'i homes. Only on special occasions did he permit the photograph to be displayed, and then he urged that it be done with the utmost reverence. The House of Justice, basing its comments on these instructions, has written a few letters to friends who have inquired about this subject and related matters, and for your guidance a compilation of extracts of these letters is enclosed.

In reply to your inquiry about the writings of Covenant-breakers and your reference to the book on the Faith by William Miller, a selection of instructions and guidelines on these subjects is also attached. The House of Justice hopes you will find the material useful.

We have been requested to assure you that prayers will be offered at the Holy Shrines as you request.

With loving Baha'i greetings,
For Department the Secretariat

Encs.

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:35 pm

Jonah wrote:I'm drawing on my own often-faulty memory here, but I believe one of the photos has been shown on special occasions like the inaugurating of Houses of Worship. And of course it can be seen on pilgrimage.-Jonah

Correct!

See below, aswell:

source - http://bahai-library.com/uhj/cbreakers. ... hotographs

Photographs of Baha'u'llah

"Concerning the question of display of the photograph of Baha'u'llah, the Guardian's instructions were that this should be done only with the utmost reverence, and then only on special occasions. While the Guardian did not require believers to send such photographs to the Holy Land, he said that it was better to do so. However, if you have made any photographic copies or negatives of the photograph or the portrait, these should be forwarded to the Holy Land in a safe way."
(From a letter dated 1 August 17 written by the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer)

"It would be good to advise the young Persian believer who has this picture that, while we do not wish to suggest that he should remove the photograph from his book, it would be inappropriate for him to show it to others in a casual manner. As you know, the photograph of Baha'u'llah is very precious and it should be handled with due reverence and respect."
(From a letter dated 7 February 1972 written by the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer)

"The portraits of the Bab and Baha'u'llah should be shown infrequently and on very special occasions, such as a special observance connected with an event intimately associated with the Forerunner or Founder of our Faith.

"We do not think that the regular National Convention is such a special occasion, and we feel that the privilege of displaying these very precious portraits should not be abused."
(From a letter dated 12 July 1973 written by the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of Panama)

Return to “Discussion”