Gambling

All research or scholarship questions
Hasan

Gambling

Postby Hasan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 am

I dedicate this topic to my friend "warrior" :) and to many people who imagine lottery is forbidden

Although collecting money through gambling to bahá'í funds is forbidden, in the actual moment nobody can say it is forbidden to the individual (for himself not bahá'í funds). Of course, what is encouraged is that individual gains his life through work in any office or profession, as the excess of gambling is prejudicial since creates vice and bad habits. I think it is permitted when one person go to supermarket and buy products for more than a certain quantity of money, (and sometimes) they give tickets for raffle to win money, cars, appliances, etc.

"As far as individuals are concerned, we have carefully studied the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi on this point and it is apparent that such subsidiary matters are not recorded in the Holy Texts. The Universal House of Justice is not prepared to decide at this time whether the purchase of lottery tickets should be permitted or prohibited."
(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to a National Spiritual Assembly, July 4, 1967: Extracts Concerning Gambling, Lotteries and Raffles, a compilation of the Universal House of Justice)

"Although we may have written to you previously commenting on the question as to whether lotteries and betting, such as betting on football games, bingo, etc., are included under the prohibition of gambling, we repeat that this is a matter that is to be considered in detail by the Universal House of Justice. In the meantime, your National Assembly should not make an issue of these matters and should leave it to the consciences of the individual friends who ask to decide for themselves in each case."
(From a letter written of the Universal House of Justice to a National Spiritual Assembly, September 27, 1972: Ibid)

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:50 pm

let's hope it becomes prohibited soon :wink:

better buy up those tickets fast Hasan, before you can't anymore...

Baha'i Warrior

Re: Gambling

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:53 pm

Hasan wrote:I dedicate this topic to my friend "warrior" :) and to many people who imagine lottery is forbidden.

by the way, nice try "hasan" i never said anything about lottery so there is no way you would have known what my position on gambling is :roll:

CJ

Postby CJ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:51 pm

it is obvious from these quotes that it is not forbidden, and not to make an issue about it. what does that mean? does it mean that we shouldn't bother other Baha'is about it? does that mean that it's okay to discuss it? I think that it is, since you posted this topic here.
so, gambling is not forbidden. however, when you buy lottery tickets, even thought the tickets only cost $1 or whatever, you are taking your money and playing a game where you could win a prize, if you don't win, you lose your $1. sounds like gambling to me. also there are many people who don't just bet a dollar; some people (many lower-income people I might add) who will spend a certain amount of their paycheque every month on these tickets I have personally seen people spend like 30 dollars at one time on the lottery. and I am sure there are people who spend more.

CJ

Postby CJ » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:57 pm

sorry, in the quote below I meant to say, lottery tickets are not forbidden, not gambling is not forbidden. included the quote again with correction

CJ wrote:it is obvious from these quotes that it is not forbidden, and not to make an issue about it. what does that mean? does it mean that we shouldn't bother other Baha'is about it? does that mean that it's okay to discuss it? I think that it is, since you posted this topic here.
so, LOTTERY TICKETS are not forbidden. however, when you buy lottery tickets, even thought the tickets only cost $1 or whatever, you are taking your money and playing a game where you could win a prize, if you don't win, you lose your $1. sounds like gambling to me. also there are many people who don't just bet a dollar; some people (many lower-income people I might add) who will spend a certain amount of their paycheque every month on these tickets I have personally seen people spend like 30 dollars at one time on the lottery. and I am sure there are people who spend more.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Notice it says:

"Although we may have written to you previously commenting on the question as to whether lotteries and betting, such as betting on football games, bingo, etc., are included under the prohibition of gambling, we repeat that this is a matter that is to be considered in detail by the Universal House of Justice."

Does this say, hey Baha'is gambling is a good thing go do it? No. It says that this issue "is to be considered in detail by the Universal House of Justice." They still have to decide themselves whether lottery is gamling or not. But for now we have Baha'i principles like we should not waste our time on idle things, which lottery certainly is. The only reason you do lottery is because you think you have a chance of winning.

Baha'u'llah in the Hidden Words states:

"SON OF MAN!

Thou dost wish for gold and I desire thy freedom from it. Thou thinkest thyself rich in its possession, and I recognize thy wealth in thy sanctity therefrom. By My life! This is My knowledge, and that is thy fancy; how can My way accord with thine?"

This is not to say that money earned from hard work is bad, in fact that is good. Money can also be used for good things. But if you get the money through illegitimate ways then it is bad. Sure, the UHJ hasn't called it gambling yet, but they also haven't said that it isn't gambling either.

So technically things the UHJ haven't decided on yet you can do, but before you do them shouldn't you use your better judgment along with other Baha'i principles? Yes..

—Warrior

Return to “Discussion”