Discussing the Faith with others...

All research or scholarship questions
TheCatLady

Discussing the Faith with others...

Postby TheCatLady » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 am

Okay, I've got a question! I go to a forum board, and there is a Religion section on that (this is for teens, and young adults) and I'm often discussing things on that. I am a debater, I debate a lot of things, but I try to not get aggressive, and the Athiest particularly like to debate with me. So, is it wrong for me to bring up what I believe in a debate? I know we're not supposed to force our opinions on anyone, but if someone asks a question, are we allows to reply with what we believe as long as we do not argue? For example, an atheist made a comment about how he believes God is not all loving because he lets those who do not follow Him suffer, and I replied with what I believe about this situation... is that okay? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

coatofmanycolours

Re: Discussing the Faith with others...

Postby coatofmanycolours » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm

"Am I doing something wrong?"

yes, CatLady; You are, most probably, doing something wrong. I just don't know
what it is, yet. Could you please provide a complete biography of all that you have
done since you were born. I will go through it and see if I can spot how many things
you have done wrong. I'm really looking forward to this.

About expressing your views:

You are probably doing something right, in that area. Providing that the goal is to
search for truth, through dialog, it is likely that your efforts will bear fruit. Either
the other person will hone his own understanding, of an issue, or, you will see
the subject more clearly in the course of discussing it.

I, usually, do not like the constraints of the debate format, personally. Even if a forum
is called 'debate', I prefer to mix it up with other styles of dialog, with greater flexibility.
I seek collaboration with the other participants, whatever the format happens to be.

What do you think?

-Peter

Highmountain

Postby Highmountain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Hello,

Nice topic btw. Personally, it doesn't sound like you're "debating" to me. I could see if you were arguing along the lines of: "No, you're wrong because of this/that...", but if you're just explaining your position on a belief or ethic then it doesn't seem to be a bad thing. Debates, in my mind, are a much more formal situation. Firesides, for example, have discussions that can get spirited but I can't recall one with jabbing fingers and shouting.

Whenever the topic of faith arises at work or in a social situation and I'm asked, I just tell them what I feel. If they disagree, oh well that's cool...at least they know my take on things, we can agree to disagree. I planted some seeds at the very least, if they take, fantastic.

Peace

HM

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:09 am

Greetings! :-)

So long as you're simply expressing your beliefs and opinions, CatLady, no problem whatever!

As 'Abdu'l-Baha said, "From the clash of differing opinions the shining spark of truth comes forth!" :-)

Best,

Bruce

TheCatLady

Postby TheCatLady » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 am

Thank you! :) I feel better now.

onepence~2

Postby onepence~2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:43 pm

just wait

we haven't really seen anything yet

*awesome*