Dream interpretations

All research or scholarship questions
Truth

Dream interpretations

Postby Truth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Firstly, hello all! It's been a while. Been incredibly busy with work, but have been lurking around on the forums from time to time!

Anyway, it's not very often that i have meaningful dreams that i can remember past an hour of waking, but on the odd occasion, i have a dream that sticks with me for a while and touches on areas that i consider important in my life. My mum has always had dreams that have been full of meaning. Even in the history of the faith, dreams have had significant meaning.

So my question is, how do we interpret such dreams if they aren't as straight forward as they seem? i.e. They are symbolic. Are we able to discuss them with dream interpreter type people?
No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!

brettz9

Re: Dream interpretations

Postby brettz9 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:22 am

Hi Truth,

You might check out http://bahai-library.com/?file=hornby_l ... 0PHENOMENA and search down for mention of "dream" or "vision".

I think this one summarizes a lot of the issues nicely:

"...That truth is often imparted through dreams no one who is familiar with history, especially religious history, can doubt. At the same time dreams and vision are always coloured and influenced more or less by the mind of the dreamer and we must beware of attaching too much importance to them. The purer and more free from prejudice and desire our hearts and minds become, the more likely is it that our dreams will convey reliable truth, but if we have strong prejudices, personal likings and aversions, bad feelings or evil motives, these will warp and distort any inspirational impression that comes to us.... In many cases dreams have been the means of bringing people to the truth or of confirming them in the Faith. We must strive to become pure in heart and 'free from all save God'. Then our dreams as well as our waking thoughts will become pure and true. We should test impressions we get through dreams, visions or inspirations, by comparing them with the revealed Word and seeing whether they are in full harmony therewith."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, May 16, 1925: Extracts from the Guardian's letters on Spiritualism, Reincarnation and Related Subjects, February 1970)

and

"Truly mystical experiences based on reality are very rare, and we can readily see how dangerous it is for people to go groping about in the darkness of their imagination after the true thing. That is why, as you point out, we are warned against all psychical practices by the Master.

"If we are going to have some deeply spiritual experience we can rest assured God will vouchsafe it to us without our having to look for it."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated October 25, 1942, to an individual believer: Bahá'í News, No. 152, p. 2, April 1942)

For those dreams which are "influenced more or less by the mind of the dreamer", these may, in my opinion, also be insightful as far as bringing to light some of our unresolved psychological issues, but I think these are usually fairly transparent with a little reflection as to their reason and do not require delving into any mystical symbolism.

So, while consultation is one means of coming to the truth, I don't really believe that consulting so-called dream experts (unless they really are scientifically-based)--especially in light of the other warnings about full-blown mystical types (e.g., Lights of Guidance, no. 1824)--would be necessary or desirable. (Of course what the Writings mean by those (negatively) interested in mystical things in this context, is not matters of the spirit, as our Writings describe the Faith as being fundamentally mystical in nature, nor about those simply curious in dreams, but a kind of unanchored preoccupation with other-worldly things).

lisarmarie

Re: Dream interpretations

Postby lisarmarie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi truth, yes you can interpret them and also try to relate the dream to anything occuring in your life. For example if something has come to an end in your life (or the beginning of soemthing new) then you may see death in the dream. Dreams are metaphors for things yaking place in your life.
I'm Lisa, a dream interpretation expert who loves to look at my dreams with these sites as a hobby and for past time fun.

Return to “Discussion”