Page 1 of 1
Quotes on Love
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59 pm
Hello all! Long time no see!
Was hoping to get some help from you all in regards to quotes on love/marriage. One of my best friends is getting married in 2 months, and I've been asked to give a speech. I was hoping to end with a quote on love, specifically from the writings. I remember at my sister's wedding, there were some amazing quotes by Abdu'l-baha on love, but i can't remember any of them. The only one I've really found at the moment that i like is "Where there is love, nothing is too much trouble, and there is always time.", but is this even an authentic quote? I don't know where it came from.
Anyway, suggest away!
Re: Quotes on Love
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:51 pm
The extract you mention is a variation of a pilgrim's note. The original is from page 42 of "Daily Lessons Received at Akka, January 1908" by Helens S. Goodall and Ella Goodall Cooper. They reported 'Abdu'l-Baha to have said:
"Whatever is done in love is never any trouble, and - there is always time."
You might find some of this of use:
"Bahá'í marriage is union and cordial affection between the two parties. They must, however, exercise the utmost care and become acquainted with each other's character. This eternal bond should be made secure by a firm covenant, and the intention should be to foster harmony, fellowship and unity and to attain everlasting life...
"In a true Bahá'í marriage the two parties must become fully united both spiritually and physically, so that they may attain eternal union throughout all the worlds of God, and improve the spiritual life of each other. This is Bahá'í matrimony.
"Among the majority of the people marriage consists of physical relationship and this union and relationship is temporary for at 373 the end physical separation is destined and ordained. But the marriage of the people of Baha must consist of both physical and spiritual relationship for both of them are intoxicated with the wine of one cup, are attracted by one Peerless Countenance, are quickened with one Life and are illumined with one Light. This is the spiritual relationship and everlasting union. Likewise in the physical world they are bound together with strong and unbreakable ties.
"When relationship, union and concord exist between the two from a physical and spiritual standpoint, that is the real union, therefore everlasting. But if the union is merely from the physical point of view, unquestionably it is temporal and at the end separation is inevitable.
"Consequently when the people of Baha desire to enter the sacred union of marriage, eternal connection and ideal relationship, spiritual and physical association of thoughts and conceptions of life must exist between them, so that in all the grades of existence and all the worlds of God this union may continue forever and ever for this real union is a splendor of the light of the love of God." ('Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 372)
Re: Quotes on Love
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:14 am
Some love quotes:
1. “Because of deep love, one is courageous.” – Lao Tse
2. “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft
3. “Trying to make someone fall in love with you is about as pointless as trying to control who you fall in love with.” - Johnny Depp
4. “He that falls in love with himself has no rival.” – Benjamin Franklin
5. “It is a long way from the head to the heart.”
6. “If a husband and wife get along in the bedroom it`s because they get along in other rooms.”
7. “There is no surprise more magical than the surprise or being loved: It is God`s finger on a man`s shoulder.” – Charles Morgan
8. “We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
10. “Love is the irresistable desire to be desired irresistably.” – Louiz Ginsberg
11. “The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love.” – Henry Miller
12. “You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to do it yourself.” – Tom Masson
13. “Love doesn’t make the world go ’round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” – Franklin P. Jones
14. “Love is like pi – natural, irrational, and VERY important.” -Lisa Hoffman
15. “Infatuation is when you think he’s as sexy as Robert Redford, as smart as Henry Kissinger, as noble as Ralph Nader, as funny as Woody Allen, and as athletic as Jimmy Conners. Love is when you realize that he’s as sexy as Woody Allen, as smart as Jimmy Connors, as funny as Ralph Nader, as athletic as Henry Kissinger and nothing like Robert Redford – but you’ll take him anyway.” – Judith Viorst
16. “If you want to be loved, be lovable.” – Ovid
17. “Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes… just be an illusion.”
18. “Love is a game that two can play and both win.”