to Capitalize or not to capitalize?

All research or scholarship questions
grace

to Capitalize or not to capitalize?

Postby grace » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:05 pm

In writing my thesis I am noting that there are several different ways of writing "divine unity". I would love a definitive way of writing it. Am leaning towards "Divine Unity" but have seen it also written as:
divine Unity
Divine unity
divine unity

Yes, references depend on the context and author/interpreter, but there is not enough information for me to choose which is best.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

(Interfaith theology student)

brettz9

Re: to Capitalize or not to capitalize?

Postby brettz9 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi and welcome!

You are right that there is an inconsistency (one other type I have noticed was "Shi'ih" and "Shi'ah". I think that since the authorized interpreter, Shoghi Effendi, used different capitalization in different places, you might just choose according to your own preference.

For pronouns referring to the Manifestations, however, we are advised to capitalize these: http://bahai9.com/wiki/Syntax#Pronouns

Best wishes,
Brett

grace

Postby grace » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi Brett,
Excellent. You have confirmed what my thesis adviser and I came up with as well.
Thank you!

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:40 am

brettz9 wrote:I have noticed was "Shi'ih" and "Shi'ah".

I'm on the Online Baha'i Library project, and the correct spelling used there is Shí'ah.

Peace, :-)

Bruce

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 am

Ok, if they've now settled on a standard--but see this and this

Jonah
Site Admin

Postby Jonah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Bruce, sorry to get off topic, but I'm curious about your mention of "Online Baha'i Library project". Is that the same as the Baha'i Digital Proofreading Project with Diana Gale, or something different? Who's managing/coordinating it?

I ask because the work I/we do for bahai-library.com parallels theirs, so I like to keep in touch with such projects if possible.

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 am

Jonah wrote:I'm curious about your mention of "Online Baha'i Library project". Is that the same as the Baha'i Digital Proofreading Project with Diana Gale, or something different?

Yes: that's it.

I'm one of Diana's English-language proofreaders/editors, and I've done over 20 titles for her during the past three or four years (with another in progress right now). :-)

Regards,

Bruce

Return to “Discussion”