Thesis help: descriptions of the afterlife in Qur'an/hadith?

All research or scholarship questions
grace

Thesis help: descriptions of the afterlife in Qur'an/hadith?

Postby grace » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi All,
I am looking for someone who has a little extra time this month and who might enjoy sharing their brain and support for my thesis project. What would be ideal is someone who has knowledge of theology and MLA presentation. Specifically right now I am looking for direct references from the Prophet Muhammad on descriptions of the afterlife.

The thesis will most likely be titled, The Cycle of Divine Unity: Baha'i Theology on the Evolution of the Soul and Progressive Revelation. The abstract will probably be: The intent of this thesis is to identify and explore the Bahá’í theology on the cycle of Divine Unity by utilizing two human experiences: the evolution of the soul from womb to the afterlife, and the succession of religions, as demonstrated by a description of progressive revelation. The reader is invited into an exegetical look at the sacred Scripture of the Abrahamic family of religions. Tracing the holy words in the Torah, Bible, Quran and the Bahá’í Writings, this thesis shares junctures of belief in the spiritual destinies of the individual and the communities of these seemingly disparate religions.

I have the month of May to make corrections and add new research. The professors are Catholic and are doing their best to grasp the Baha'i theology; my writing has to bridge the gap.

Thanks for reading,

onepence

Re: Thesis help?

Postby onepence » Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Grace,

Thank you for presenting your study ideas and thesis to this board.

Please write directly yo me, Dean Hedges, toptentrades@yahoo.com, and perhaps you can give me clear direction as to the ways and means in which i will be able to assist you.

Your goals are noble and i am assured that all that assist you will be rewarded.

a person of oneness,
Dean Hedges

BruceDLimber

Postby BruceDLimber » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 am

Greetings!

(I don't know what MLA is.)

I'm no expert on Muhammad's teachings about the Next Life and so can't help you there.

I can provide you passages from the Baha'i Writings about the Next Life, though you may well have these already.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Regards, :-)

Bruce

grace

Postby grace » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 am

Hi Bruce,
MLA is a format for citation used in academics. And yes, you are correct, I have all the passages I need from the Baha'i Writings. But thank you for your offer and support!
For this, I need someone who is familiar with thesis structure and requirements.
Best regards,

grace

Re: Thesis help: descriptions of the afterlife in Qur'an/had

Postby grace » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 am

Thank you everyone for your support! Sometimes it seems like we Baha'is are constantly recreating the wheel. Certainly, this thesis feels like I am trying to bring together four wheels: the teachings from the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Quran and the Baha'i Writings on the afterlife, the hereafter, the "next world" the "spiritual world", etc. Its a big task and my goal is to simply isolate the direct references of each of the Prophets and study those for common belief. Your prayers and any assistance are greatly appreciated!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:11 am

Hi!

http://bahai-library.com/quran/quranoutlines.html or http://bahai-library.com/nsa_introduction_study_quran might be of use (I found some searching for "death" and "hereafter").

Godspeed on your thesis!

Best wishes,
Brett

p.s. Note the difference in Surah/verse numbering.

grace

Postby grace » Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Thank you, Brett, I did not know about this. Will check it out!

Return to “Discussion”