Question: The Writings of the Báb on two types of knowledge.

All research or scholarship questions
Jonah
Site Admin

Question: The Writings of the Báb on two types of knowledge.

Postby Jonah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Once again I'm passing on a question I don't have the answer for. Thanks, everyone!
Maybe I only imagined it, but I recall having read a statement by the Báb along the lines that for every drop of material knowledge given to a learner (child?) an equal drop of spiritual knowledge must also be given. Otherwise, if more material knowledge is given than spiritual knowledge, the material knowledge will become a veil between the soul and its Creator. I have searched but have found no such statement. Does anyone know of such a statement?

iranpour

Re: Question: The Writings of the Báb on two types of knowle

Postby iranpour » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 am

Hello Jonah, I have heard about the verse of the Bab in this connection, but I couldn’t find it in His Persian, Arabic writings and their English translations, but there is such a subject in Islamic literature:

In Islam regarding the types of knowledge, there is a saying from the Prophet Muhammad:

“Al-'ilmu'ilman, 'ilm-ul-abdan wa 'ilm-ul-adyan” which means, knowledge is of two types, the one concerning physical body of human, secular, derived or scientific knowledge, and the other, knowledge concerning revealed knowledge or religion. (*)

Many Islamic scholars added to the former, “obligatory and voluntary” or “beneficial and non-beneficial.
In the Baha’i Faith, the secular knowledge is not only beneficial but obligatory and incumbent upon everyone:
“The third Tajalli is concerning arts, crafts and sciences. Knowledge is as wings to man's life, and a ladder for his ascent. ITS ACQUISITION IS INCUMBENT UPON EVERYONE. The knowledge of such 52 sciences, however, should be acquired as can profit the peoples of the earth, and not those which begin with words and end with words. Great indeed is the claim of scientists and craftsmen on the peoples of the world. Unto this beareth witness the Mother Book on the day of His return. Happy are those possessed of a hearing ear. In truth, knowledge is a veritable treasure for man, and a source of glory, of bounty, of joy, of exaltation, of cheer and gladness unto him. Thus hath the Tongue of Grandeur spoken in this Most Great Prison”. (Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 51).

______________________________________________________________________________________

(*). Some Muslims divided the knowledge into three types namely the KNOWLEDGE OF GOD (Gnostic), THE KNOWLEDGE OF RELIGION and THE SECULAR KNOWLEDGE.

Return to “Discussion”