Qur'an and women's rights

All research or scholarship questions
c3ponds

Qur'an and women's rights

Postby c3ponds » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:37 pm

We have heard that women were granted certain rights in the Qur'an, including the right to inherit and own property, and the right to choose their husband. The rights of inheritance and ownership have been found, but not the choosing of a husband. Any one know where this is? Searched in Ocean under women, female, sex, husband, marriage, and marry. No luck yet.

Once again, thanks for any help!

brettz9

Re: Qur'an and women's rights

Postby brettz9 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I see some cite this as evidence: "O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will." (Qur'an, 4:19). I don't know though whether this is just prohibiting the familial inheritance as spoken of by 'Abdu'l-Baha in Some Answered Questions, Chapter 7) or any kind of imposed marriage.

Note, however, that in either case, this right did not appear to apply to women slaves, since the Baha'i Faith was the first religion to explicitly and unequivocally prohibit slavery (and to bring full equality to women (except in some "negligible" instances)): "Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess..." (Qur'an, 4:24).

The right to divorce has also been cited as being within Qur'an 2:229.

The Qur'an does clearly speak out against abuses toward girls or women, such as the custom of burying daughters alive, being overly harsh to them in marriage, and is the first (Western?) religion to clearly and explicitly limit polygamy by law (Chapter 7 of Some Answered Questions also points some of these out).

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:41 am

The right has given to women to marry a free man and a slave in the following verse of the Qur’an:

"ND MARRY THE UNMARRIED AMONG YOU and the righteous among your MALE SLAVES and female slaves. If they should be poor, Allah will enrich them from His bounty, and Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing". (The Qur’an, 24:32)

And in another translation:

“And marry those among you who are single (i.e A MAN WHO HAS NO WIFE and the woman who has no husband) and (also marry) the salihun (pious, fit and capable ones) of your MALE SLAVES and maid-servants (female slaves).
If they be poor, Allah will enrich them out of His bounty. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, the All-knowing”. (The Qur’an, 24:32).

c3ponds

Postby c3ponds » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Interesting! Thank you both for the responses.

Return to “Discussion”