Prophecies fulfilled by Muhammad

All research or scholarship questions
Mike

Prophecies fulfilled by Muhammad

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:50 am

In the Kitab-i-Iqan Baha'u'llah explains how He has fulfilled prophecies in both the Bible and the Quran. Is there anything in the Baha'i Writings that shed light on how Muhammad fulfilled prophecies in previous Revelations?

MontanaDon

Re: Prophecies fulfilled by Muhammad

Postby MontanaDon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Since He was primarily talking to Muslims, there was no reason to discuss how Muhammad fulfilled prophecies - it was simply assumed.

This is the only paper I can think of that discusses the issue.

PROPHECY IN THE JOHANNINE FAREWELL DISCOURSE: THE ADVENTS OF THE PARACLETE, AḤMAD AND COMFORTER (MU`AZZĪ).
http://www.hurqalya.pwp.blueyonder.co.u ... aclete.htm

Don C
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Mike has written:
In the Kitab-i-Iqan Baha'u'llah explains how He has fulfilled prophecies in both the Bible and the Quran. Is there anything in the Baha'i Writings that shed light on how Muhammad fulfilled prophecies in previous Revelations?

I.
‘Abdu’l-Baha, states that every Divine Manifestation fulfilled the prophecies of His previous Manifestation:

The holy Manifestations Who have been the Sources or Founders of the various religious systems were united and agreed in purpose and teaching. Abraham, Moses, Zoroaster, Buddha, Jesus, Muḥammad, the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh are one in spirit and reality. Moreover, EACH PROPHET FULFILLED THE PROMISE OF THE ONE WHO CAME BEFORE HIM and, likewise, Each announced the One Who would follow. Consider how Abraham foretold the coming of Moses, and Moses embodied the Abrahamic statement. Moses prophesied the Messianic cycle, and Christ fulfilled the law of Moses. (The Promulgation of Universal Peace, 16 June 1912,Talk at Central Congregational Church, Hancock Street, Brooklyn, New York.)

II.

The Gospel gives two glad tidings, one is regarding THE COMFORTER, the PROMISSED ONE who comes after Jesus who is called the Paraclete, Comforter or in Arabic, Faraqlit, Mu’zzi, Ruhu’l-Haq, Musalla which was fulfilled by Muhammad the Prophet, and the other is the RETURN OF JESUS CHRIST which was fulfilled by Baha’u’llah.

Regarding the Glad-tiding in the Gospel of John, Jesus says:
“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, THE COMFORTER will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send HIM unto you”. “And when HE is come, HE will REPROVE THE WORLD OF SIN, AND OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND OF JUDGMENT”. (John, 16: 7-8).

Many Christian religions believe that the above promise was fulfilled by the happenings on the Day of Pentecost as recorded in acts below:

“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance”. (Acts, 2:1-4)

However, John does not refer to the Holy Spirit but to an actual person. He says He and Him in his prophesy.

In the first case namely whatever recorded in the Gospel of John, because there, Jesus says that when the Comforter comes “HE will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”
There he refers to ONE PERSON WHO PERFORMS THE ABOVE JOBS; AND IF IT WAS REFERRING TO THE DESCIPLES, OR THE HOLY SPIRIT, as conceived by some Christians, the pronouns “THEY” or “IT” respectively should be used.
Continued

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

III.

The following prophecy from The Old Testament refers to FOUR SUCCESSIVE REVELATIONS:

“And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man ofGod blessed the children of Israel before his death. And he said, The Lord came from SINAI, and rose up from SEIR unto them; he shined forth from mount PARAN, and HE CAME WITH TEN THOUSANDS OF SAINTS: from his right hand went a fiery law for them”. (Bible, Deut, 33:1-2).

The three Revelations are: “Moses’ Who came and manifested from Sinai, “Jesus” Who came and manifested from Seir, and “Muhammad” WHO CAME AND MANIFESTED FROM MOUNT PARAN (North West of Arabia) and then Baha’u’llah returned and manifested with ten thousands of saints. Twenty thousand of those saints were so detached from the world that put their lives for Him. Those devoted believers who, in their martyrdom, rather than to say, “Is there any helper to help me?”, were uttering the following words: “Is there any observer to watch me?”
IV.
In the Following verse of the Bible, the Holy One who supposed to come from Paran was Muhammad the prophet:
“God came from Teman, and the Holy One from MOUNT PARAN . Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise”. (Habakkuk, 3:3).

The two following verses of the Gospel indicate that the HOLY GHOST OR HOLY SPIRIT is what issued by God and received by His Manifestation, Jesus Christ and is given by Jesus to the believers in turn. The following verses of the Gospel are witness to this reality:
“But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: FOR THE HOLY GHOST WAS NOT YET GIVEN; BECAUSE THAT JESUS WAS NOT YET GLORIFIED” (John, 7:39 )
“That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by THE HOLY GHOST WHICH DWELLETH IN US” (2 Timothy, 1:14 ).

V.
MUHAMMAD THE PROPHET as the SPIRIT OF TRUTH in the Gospel:
“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. ” (John, 16:12-13).
This verse indicates the coming of a Prophet who would prophesy the future events and complete whatever told by Jesus and that, whatever He says is from God, not Himself.
Continued

iranpour

Postby iranpour » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:40 pm

VI.
Another prophecy of the Gospel which was fulfilled by Muhammad the Prophet and His son in law ‘Ali, is as follows:
“And I will give POWER unto my two WITNESSES, (1) and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days (1260 days), (2) clothed in sackcloth. These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. (Revelation, 11: 3-6).

The two witnesses are Muhammad the Prophet and His son in law ‘Ali.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(1). In the Holy Qur’an, God addressing Muhammad the Prophet as a witness, bringer of glad-tidings and warn the people, and says:
“O Prophet, indeed We have sent you as A WITNESS and a bringer of good tidings and a warner”. (Qur’an, 33:45).

(2). Each day in the Bible accounted as a year:
“After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, EACH DAY FOR A YEAR, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise”. (Numbers, 14:34)

“For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel”. (Ezekiel, 4:5).

It must be noted in this connection that the year 1260 A.H. (1844 A.D.) is the end of the duration of the Faith of Islam, and the Proclamation of the Bab, the forerunner of Baha’u’llah. So the prophecy refers to the Baha’i Faith as well.

Return to “Discussion”