Schizophrenia and serving in Institutions of the Faith

All research or scholarship questions
Prometheus

Schizophrenia and serving in Institutions of the Faith

Postby Prometheus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 am

Please advice and help me to search Writings about Schizophrenia and any recommendation what to do is someone in Assembly or other Institutions has such official diagnosis.

I've already found from the Lights of Guidance topics №№193-195, 259. But they says only in common...

Thank you.

MontanaDon

Re: Schizophrenia and serving in Institutions of the Faith

Postby MontanaDon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:35 am

It is the responsibility of Bahá’í Assemblies to decide when individual interests should be subordinated to those affecting the collective welfare of the community. But, as already stated, the interest of the individual should always be safeguarded within certain limits, and provided they do not seriously affect the welfare of the group as a whole.

Letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, dated June 26, 1936, to an individual believer, in Lights of Guidance, no. 411

If you believe the LSA is not dealing effectively with the issue, you should contact your ABM and/or Community Development at the RBC.

Don C

[Edited by B. Z. for setting of quote (and linking to it)]
----------
Understood properly, all man's problems are essentially spiritual in nature.

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 am

I'm sure that LSA didn't know about this situation.

I'm not sure that this situation is apply to the quotation above. I'm talking about situation when the medical diagnosis is already done, but Assembly not informed (it's the case to inform them) but in second side - what they have to do in this case?

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:36 am

OK, then the first question is, "Is the person's behavior disruptive?" If not, then there is nothing to be done. That is one of the implicartions of the quote I posted. People with many mental disorders are capable of functioning just fine so long as they stay on their meds. And it's not a case of forgetting to take their meds some morning and going berserk that afternoon. It typically takes a week or so for the effect of the meds to wear off. (It also takes several weeks to get the full effect of the meds when starting them.)

I have a little experience working w/ schizophrenics. In both cases their behavior could be a bit odd; and they sometimes got some strange ideas. But they were quite reasonable/rational and gently telling them not to worry about such and such or saying something didn't make any difference, sometimes w/ reminders, was all it took to get them to move on.
----------

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 pm

In my humble opinion - it's very destructive in long run... Thats why I'm looking for the quotation that such person can be accepted for teaching work but not acceptable his work on any administrative, responsible position. Just imagine - someone knows that in Baha'i Faith key position is occupied by mental ill person... with Schizophrenia diagnosis!

MontanaDon

Postby MontanaDon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I have to wonder if you understand what a diagnosis of schizophrenia indicates. I doubt that a person in whom it is out of control could be elected to an Assembly. The most common symptoms are delusions, disorganized thinking, a lack of emotion and a lack of motivation. If you see evidence of them, then I think some kind of responses is warranted; otherwise, not.
----------

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:55 pm

I just asking about Writings on which you based your opinion. Please. I'm not a doctor to make any diagnosis...

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Mental illness varies along a spectrum (including "borderline personality disorder" which has been seen as a step before mental illness). Even with a definitive diagnosis, as MontanaDon was suggesting, I don't think the Writings would be so unequivocal as to treat people with even such recognized conditions all in the exact same manner. Moreover, schizophrenics who take their antipsychotic meds (and who don't use intoxicants) may be at less risk of suffering disconcerting symptoms. While it can be a very serious condition, there are intelligent and high functioning people with the diagnosis.

The Writings themselves indicate that not every situation and response to it can be spelled out in the Writings, leaving some things to judgment and consultation. But that wouldn't preclude reporting the matter and letting the institutions decide on any course of action.

Return to “Discussion”