‘Abdu’l-Bahá Abbas Sends Letter to Andrew Carnegie

All research or scholarship questions
larry

‘Abdu’l-Bahá Abbas Sends Letter to Andrew Carnegie

Postby larry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Dear Friends,

Does anyone know what is referred to by "Pacific Party" in the following excerpt from this New York Times article?

"Today the most important object of the Kingdom of God is the promulgation of the cause of universal peace and the principle of the oneness of the world of humanity. Whosoever arises in the accomplishment of this preeminent service the confirmations of the Holy Spirit will descend upon him. Now all that has been predicted has come to pass, and the lurid flames of this war have emblazoned the horizon of the east and the west, causing a reverberating social earthquake through the columns of the earth. After this war the workers for the cause of universal peace will increase day by day, and the pacific party will array its force, displaying great activity with better advantage, and in the end gaining a permanent triumph and eternal victory over all the other parties. The realization of this matter is incontestable and irrefragable."
The full article can be found here:
http://centenary.bahai.us/news/carnegie ... ist-leader

Thank you

brettz9

Re: ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Abbas Sends Letter to Andrew Carnegie

Postby brettz9 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 pm

It must be "pacific" as in "peaceful in character or intent" and without indication of any political party.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá makes clear elsewhere that:

"Our party is God's party; we do not belong to any party."

('Abdu'l-Baha, cited in letter from the Universal House of Justice, no. 1449)

..and that only policies in accord with the Baha'i teachings (such as for a world government) offer a lasting remedy:

"...with regard to political parties: that which is the greatest policy directing the world of mankind, nay, rather, the Divine policy, is found in the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh.

"Likewise with regard to the party of `equality' which seeks the solution of the economic problems: until now all proposed solutions have proved impracticable except the economic proposals in the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh which are practicable and cause no distress to society.

"So with the other parties: when ye look deeply into this matter, ye will discover that the highest aims of those parties are found in the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh. These teachings constitute the all-inclusive power among all men and are practicable. But there are some teachings of the past, such as those of the Torah, which cannot be carried out at the present day. It is the same with the other religions and the tenets of the various sects and the different parties.

"For example, the question of universal peace, about which Bahá'u'lláh says that the Supreme Tribunal must be established: although the League of Nations has been brought into existence, yet it is incapable of establishing universal peace. But the Supreme Tribunal which Bahá'u'lláh has described will fulfil this sacred task with the utmost might and power..."

(‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Selections from the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, sec. 227, pp. 305-306)

So it would not make sense for a political party to be intended here. Sometimes "party" has been used loosely to refer just to groups rather than a formal political party.

He did prophesy, however, that the (far) Left would temporarily grow (i.e., communism after the first world war, though note also the above reference to the "party of equality" which indicates it was an unsatisfactory solution which leads to distress in society) as with the more indirectly-mentioned cases of Nazism and fascism:

"The ills," `Abdu'l-Bahá, writing as far back as two decades ago, has prophesied, "from which the world now suffers will multiply; the gloom which envelops it will deepen. The Balkans will remain discontented. Its restlessness will increase. The vanquished Powers will continue to agitate. They will resort to every measure that may rekindle the flame of war. Movements, newly born and worldwide in their range, will exert their utmost for the advancement of their designs. The Movement of the Left will acquire great importance. Its influence will spread."

(Shoghi Effendi, citing 'Abdu'l-Baha, Advent of Divine Justice, pp. 88-89)

I'd be curious if the latter quote were available anywhere in a primary source, but we do have Shoghi Effendi's assurance about it.

Best wishes,
Brett

larry

Postby larry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Thank you Brett. Your explanation sounds reasonable. The quotes you included are appreciated also.

So perhaps one could surmise the pacific party (as in pacifists, peaceful, irenic) are the Baha'is.

Bertrand Russell - the pacific temper , which seeks to settle disputes on grounds of justice rather than by force.

Cheers, Larry

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 am

While in general, I think that is correct, I think it is even more inclusive than that. 'Abdu'l-Baha was full of praise for the peace advocates regardless of their Faith, in fact at one point stating that His purpose for His visit to the U.S. was something to the effect of encouraging the peace movement (as I recall, He said this when praising a non-believer's work in the peace movement). Shoghi Effendi indicated that the Spirit of Baha'u'llah was also acting through non-Baha'i institutions, etc.

However, even while Baha'is seek to avoid military enrollment at this point in history (when there is no binding international security treaty and international force to be the legitimate police of the world), the Baha'i Faith does not accept absolute pacifism as an ultimate solution and recognizes a need for some force by society: see http://bahai9.com/wiki/Force

larry

Postby larry » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 am

Thank you Brett for pointing out the February 8, 1967 UHJ letter "Baha'is Recognize the Right and Duty of Governments to Protect Their People". The excerpt in this message taken from the beloved Guardian's letter about pacifists being antisocial and leading to disorder and chaos in society is an illuminating read. Thanks for taking the time to find and share this information.

Warm regards,
Larry

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 pm

My pleasure. Btw, I see that the second half of the quote I mentioned (beginning with "The Balkans...") is published in Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, so there is an authenticated Tablet containing the bulk of the quote (in section 202).

Return to “Discussion”