Great quote of 'Abdu'l-Baha on partisanship

All research or scholarship questions
brettz9

Great quote of 'Abdu'l-Baha on partisanship

Postby brettz9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 am

Just came across and had to share this great quote on the ineffectiveness of (partisan) democratic debate:

"In this Cause the question of consultation is of the greatest importance. But the spiritual consultation, not physical consultation. In France I visited the Senate, the Parliament. I did not like their system at all, for consultation must have for its aim the arrival at truth and not opinionated opposition. When there shall be opposition or inimical opinion, it is very bad. I found that they altercated, by worthless or useless altercations, each one presenting a certain angle or a certain word, someone would oppose him, and then there was a turmoil, and it happened that while I was there two of them got up and had a fight. I said, 'This is not parliamentary consultation. This is a fiasco! What is the use of going to theatres and spending your money? Come to the National Assembly and see what is going on! It is more entertaining than the theatre. Call it a play and not the parliament.'

('Abdu'l-Baha, Star of the West, vol. 11, issue 11, pp. 180-181)

There is a talk which states something similar in Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 72, but I hadn't seen the above one before...

Odd how the theatre, at least in the U.S., seems to have grown more in proxy debate arenas like advertisements and broadcasts, rather than in the Congress itself, but sadly no less true...

brettz9

Re: Great quote of 'Abdu'l-Baha on partisanship

Postby brettz9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:10 pm

I had been jumping around and hadn't noticed that the Star of the West mentioned this was, as with the Promulgation talk, also from the Hotel Plaza in Chicago.

Return to “Discussion”