Mecca / Medina

All research or scholarship questions

Would you visit Mecca / Medina if you had the Chance?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:21 pm

Yes?
100%
No?
No votes

Total votes: 5

JusticeForAll

Mecca / Medina

Postby JusticeForAll » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Ok, [wince], I want to visit Mecca and Medina and I believe that by Muslim law (since we believe in Mohomad, yes it is a reach) Baha'is should have that ability. The Black Muslim community earned that right so I know it is possible. Any thoughts (I know about the Baha'i struggles in Iran, I have not lived under a rock, I am just hopeful)?

~talmont
uninstreasting@aol.com

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:12 pm

Most muslims consider baha'is heretics, I don't think it's likely.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

CJ

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:10 pm

you mean that Baha'is can't visit Mecca or Medina?

JusticeForAll

Mecca / Medina

Postby JusticeForAll » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:33 am

No Baha'i may visit Mecca or Medina. We believe in Mohommad and the writtings, we believe in progressive revelation, in the bible and the toras. We don't get to go because we believe in a Faith that comes after Muslim. Thus we are worse the heretics to the Muslims, we are covenant breakers.

I just want my right to visit Mecca and Medina. And was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how that could be accomplished w/o lying/cheating/stealing/being dishonest/sneaking/etc ...
And I was wondering if anyone else had the same desire or am I just plain nnnnnnnnuts ...

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:02 am

With the fundamentalist tensions in that country still simmering, it is not likely the government will wish to do anything to antagonize them unduly.

In the future, no doubt, visits to Mecca and Medina will become a possibility. There is a pilgrim's note from Shoghi Effendi (at this site) that since we love Jesus (or the Founders of the older religions), we should visit the Church in Jerusalem and Jewish sites while we go on pilgrimage (majorly paraphrasing).

If even a relatively progressive Muslim country like Egypt is not allowing Baha'is to get essential paperwork if they declare themselves as Baha'is, then it is not very likely that another will open up so much, especially one with such historical religious significance. Of course, we hope for the best. The Bahá'í International Community would, we can be sure, already be trying to make such an appeal if they thought it were timely and important. But first, it would be good just to have basic freedoms on our own "turf" in such countries (such as a right to meet, registere Baha'i marriages, etc.) so to speak, let alone be able to approach what they perceive to be theirs.

These countries will be liberated in time from their fanaticism, but Bahá'u'lláh warned of a most severe (and Shoghi Effendi clarified long) degradation for the Muslim world, due to their severe continual persecution of two Manifestations of God.

best wishes,
Brett

JusticeForAll

Mecca / Medina : Baha'i Rights

Postby JusticeForAll » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:42 pm

Ok,
I find that somewhat hopeful. And with Iran recognizing Israel we seem to be making progress in SOME area. It is just a longing to visit those history places marked by the Messengers.

Or to put it directly...
I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go...

:o)

Zazaban

Re: Mecca / Medina : Baha'i Rights

Postby Zazaban » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:41 pm

janine wrote:
talmont wrote:Ok,
I find that somewhat hopeful. And with Iran recognizing Israel we seem to be making progress in SOME area. It is just a longing to visit those history places marked by the Messengers.

Or to put it directly...
I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go... I want to go...

:o)

i want to go too!!!

We all want to go!
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Dorumerosaer

Postby Dorumerosaer » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:50 am

I think that to go to Mecca, one must convince the religious authorities not only that you believe that Muhammad is a divine Prophet, and that the Qur'an is a divinely-revealed Book; but that you are a Muslim. In essence, a Baha'i would have to deny being a Baha'i, would have to quote verses from the Qur'an, would have to state that there is no God but God, that Muhammad is His Prophet, and the Seal of the Prophets -- as Muslims understand the term "Seal". To answer your question directly, I agree that it is wishful thinking that a Baha'i would be permitted to visit Mecca or Medina without lying; and worse, without openly denying his faith.

Just my view.

Brent

Return to “Discussion”