To be loving?

All research or scholarship questions
shm

To be loving?

Postby shm » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi

I know this is my second topic in one day, but I just had a thought that I wanted to clear up.

I have a question about loving everyone. I have heard from a well known psychologist that those who want to love everyone are people who have experienced hatred, violence, and war throughout there life and that one way they think they can resolve this is by loving everyone. So from this view it is a mental, or psychological problem. Also I see that people do not just love other people. People are kind to others for certain reasons. Either they feel sorry for them for any reason or they are kind in order to get a job position. Thinking that you love everyone doesnt seem to be practical. I have heard that you should love your neighbors. But the neighbor is going about his own activities and I am going about mine own, why should I be concerned about loving and caring so much about the neighbor. From a psychological point of view caring to be so loving is a mental/ psychological problem. I myself cant imagine everyone walking down the street and smiling and being so loving to every single person, if one had done this others would think that the person is crazy.

Can anyone provide any clarification on what it means to be loving and friendly to others from the religious/ bahai stand point? Are we only suppose to care and be friendly to uphold our own social life and interactions, which seems that every single person does automatically, and if they dont then there is something psychologically/ mentally wrong, its not cuz they dont care about there religion. I am really confused over this subject. If it is like this then whats the need of religion even saying to be so loving?

childintime

Postby childintime » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:07 am

Read the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, and read stories of 'Abdu'l-Baha. Pray for guidance to become like Him. Then, like the rest of us, struggle mightily for the rest of your life trying to understand it and master it. Anything else I can say will be of little use to you as it is a spiritual battle we must all fight on our own.

Baha'i Warrior

Re: To be loving?

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:08 pm

shm wrote:Can anyone provide any clarification on what it means to be loving and friendly to others from the religious/ bahai stand point? Are we only suppose to care and be friendly to uphold our own social life and interactions, which seems that every single person does automatically, and if they dont then there is something psychologically/ mentally wrong, its not cuz they dont care about there religion. I am really confused over this subject. If it is like this then whats the need of religion even saying to be so loving?

Interesting question indeed.

Baha'u'llah tells us that only our actions that are done without ulterior motives will be accepted by God:

"O CHILDREN OF ADAM! Holy words and pure and goodly deeds ascend unto the heaven of celestial glory. Strive that your deeds may be cleansed from the dust of self and hypocrisy and find favor at the court of glory; for ere long the assayers of mankind shall, in the holy presence of the Adored One, accept naught but absolute virtue and deeds of stainless purity. This is the daystar of wisdom and of divine mystery that hath shone above the horizon of the divine will. Blessed are they that turn thereunto." [Bahá'u'lláh, The Hidden Words, No. P69.]

And again:

"Let deeds, not words, be your adorning."

And we should make sure that our actions are conforming to Baha'u'llah's expectations by taking into account our actions every day:

"O SON OF BEING! Bring thyself to account each day ere thou art summoned to a reckoning; for death, unheralded, shall come upon thee and thou shalt be called to give account for thy deeds." [Bahá'u'lláh, The Hidden Words, No. A31.]

Baha'u'llah also states (again in the Hidden Words) that all of our actions are going to be engraved on tablets.

---'Abdu'l-Baha states, in Promulgation, that we should be very, very kind to others:

"You must be exceedingly kind and loving toward each other, willing to forfeit life in the pathway of another's happiness."

Forfeit your life!

It's hard, not doubt! I will be the first to tell you. Isn't it a lot easier to be nice to people who smile at you, compared to people who glare at you like a Silverback gorilla ready to pounce on you? Or people in public who will say something rude like "excuse you" or "get out of my way"? Of course...

------As to your point about science saying being excessively nice is psychologically/ mentally wrong, first of all you shouldn't be kind all the time. For example, if a stranger assults your wife, you shouldn't smile at him and say "have at it my friend," no, you should defend her, it is your duty to defent others according to the Writings, and if the situation calls for it you can defend yourself. But what it means is that if someone, say, a cashier, seems to not like you, throws your coffee in front of you, ignores your requests, and doesn't look at you, to me it'd still mean you should say "thank you" and be the better man. It's hard...but soon people will begin to watch you carefully and notice you are different than others. Everyone, it seems, is out to screw others and take everything for himself, but that's not true. And if we set an example, we may produce some change--even if it's just one individual--we certainly can't control others but we can still control ourselves and how we react to certain situations.

Anyway, i'm beginning to ramble, but i hope i got my point across clearly...

Return to “Discussion”