Items in the news
onepence

“age of impoverishment”

Postby onepence » Wed May 10, 2006 11:46 pm

Thursday, 11 May 2006, 9:07 am

Baby boomers blamed for “age of impoverishment”

Press Release: Massey University

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0605/S00102.htm

PALMERSTON NORTH – Educationalist and anti-racism campaigner John Minto has accused the baby boom generation of overseeing an “age of impoverishment” and urged his contemporaries to clean up the economic mess they created.

Mr Minto, an Auckland trade union organiser and former secondary school teacher best known for ...

It also saw “bribes and inducements”, such as free computers and cellphones given to students to encourage enrolments.

“This is a shameful legacy of market-driven madness in education…One of the most hare-brained schemes to come from the free-market ideologies of the past 20 years.”

He said eras in history had been given names, such as the bronze age, the iron age, the industrial age and the space age in which he grew up. More recently we had the computer age.

“This age might be called the Bush age, God forbid, but if I were to guess I’d say it’s more likely to be called the age of impoverishment.

“I hope my generation can clean up some of the economic mess we have created before we depart the scene.”

ENDS

Return to “News”