Search Chronology for entries about "Dabney"
from the Chronology
|1972 17 Dec
||The passing of Matthew Bullock (b. 11 September, 1881 in Dabney, North Carolina) in Detroit, Michigan.
- He was a singer, a talented athlete, a football coach, a teacher, a soldier, a war hero, a civic leader, a church leader.
- Lawyer-graduated from Harvard Law School in 1907.
- Found the Faith in 1940 after many years of careful investigation.
- Husband to Katherine Wright, (d. 1945), father to Matthew W. Bullock Jr (a judge) and Julia Gaddy (librarian).
- Chairman of the Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Boston.
- Travel teacher to Haiti, Costa Rica, Mexico, Belgian Congo, Liberia.
- Elected to the National Spiritual Assembly of the the United States in 1952.
- Represented the NSA at the first Intercontinental Bahá'í Conference in Uganda, East and received permission to visit the Holy Land on pilgrimage prior to attending the Conference.
- Became a Knight of Bahá'u'lláh in 1953 for Dutch West Indies when he and four other members of the NSA resigned to take up pioneer posts.
- He received an honorary degree from Harvard in recognition of the lifetime of achievements.
- He spent his last years in Detroit in the care of his daughter. [BW15p535-539]
|Dabney; NC; Detroit; MI
||In Memoriam; Matthew Bullock; Knights of Bahaullah; Births and deaths