Search Chronology for entries about "Mecca"
from the Chronology
|1844 30 Sep
||The Báb, Quddús (Hájí Mullá Muhammad-`Alíy-i-Barfurúshí) and the Báb's Ethiopian servant, Mubarak, leave Shíráz for Búshihr en route to Mecca. The journey takes ten days. [B57; DB129; MH119]
- DB129 says He left Shíráz during the month of Shavvál, 1260 (14October to 11 November, 1844).
- SBBH1 xxviii shows the departure date as 12 November, 1844.
- Balyuzi, B57 says "in the month of September.
|Iran; Saudi Arabia; Shiraz; Bushihr; Mecca
||Bab, Life of; Quddus; Servants; Mubarak
|1844. c. Dec
||The Báb and His companions arrive in Jiddah after a rough sea voyage of two months. There they put on the garb of the pilgrim and proceed to Mecca by camel. [B71; DB129, 132]
- See B69–71 and DB130–1 for a description of the voyage.
- Quddús walks from Jiddah to Mecca. [B71, DB132, GPB9]
|Jiddah; Saudi Arabia; Mecca; Saudi arabia
||Bab; sea voyage; Mecca; Quddus
|1844. 12 Dec
||The Báb arrives in Mecca and performs the rites of pilgrimage in company with 100,000 other pilgrims. [GPB9]
- See B70 and SA107-8 for the timing, rites and significance of the pilgrimage.
|Mecca; Saudi Arabia
||Báb; pilgrimage; pilgrim
|1844. 20 - 21 Dec
||The Báb offers 19 lambs as a sacrifice in the prescribed manner, distributing the meat to the poor and needy. [B71; DB133]
||Mecca; Saudi Arabia
||Bab; lambs; sacrifice
|1844 c. 20 Dec
||The Báb makes a declaration of His mission by standing at the Ka`bih, holding the ring of the door and repeating three times that He is the Qá'im.
- He makes an open challenge to Mírzá Muhammad-Husayn-i-Kirmání, known as Muhít, of the Shaykhí school and sends an invitation to the Sharíf of Mecca to embrace the new Revelation. The Sharíf is too busy to respond. [B71-74; BW12:89; DB134–8; GPB9, 89]
|Mecca; Saudi Arabia
||Bab; declaration; Ka`bih; Qa'im; Mirza Muhammad-Husayn-i-Kirmani; Muhit; Shaykhi; Sharif
|1845. 16 Jan
||The Báb arrives in Medina from Mecca. [dhut bíy-i-jiddih]
- He reveals `The Epistle between Two Shrines' en route. [B73–4]
- He stays 27 days. [MS2]
- B75 and DB140 indicate that the Báb arrived 10 January. The Research Department at the Bahá`í World Centre states that the date 16 January accords with the Báb's own writings. [report 20 jan 1994]
|Medina; Mecca; Saudi Arabia
||Bab; Epistle between Two Shrines
|1872. c. 1872
||Bahá'u'lláh tasks Shaykh Salmán to escort Munírih Khánum (Fátimih Khánum) to `Akká to marry `Abdu'l-Bahá. She travels from her home in Isfahan to Shíráz where she stays with the wife of the Báb then to Mecca for pilgrimage. From Mecca she travels to `Akká. [MKBM]
- DH45 says she was called to the Holy Land in December 1871 to January 1872.
- BKG347 says she performed the pilgrimage in February 1873.
- See CH75–79 (Visit to Shíráz) and CH80-90 (Her journey and subsequent marriage) for Munírih Khánum's own account.
|Isfahan; Iran; Shiraz; Mecca; Akka