Search Chronology for entries about "Saudi Arabia"
from the Chronology
|1826 27 Jun
||Passing of Shaykh Ahmad-i-Ahsá'í, the leader of the Shaykhís, in Haddíyyih near Medina near the tomb of Muhammad, at approximately 75 years. He is buried in the cemetery of Baqí` in Medina. [B2; MH20]
- At his passing Siyyid Kázim-i-Rashtí becomes his designated successor. [BBD12]
- BBD12 says it was 1828 and he was 81 years old
- See CH11 and MH20 for three chief articles of faith of the Shaykhís.
- See BBRSM8 for a brief account of his life.
- See MH22 for a picture.
|Haddíyyih, Medina, Saudi Arabia
||Shaykh Ahmad-i-Ahsa'i, Siyyid Kazim-i-Rashti, Shaykhism
|1844 30 Sep
||The Báb, Quddús (Hájí Mullá Muhammad-`Alíy-i-Barfurúshí) and the Báb's Ethiopian servant, Mubarak, leave Shíráz for Búshihr en route to Mecca. The journey takes ten days. [B57; DB129; MH119]
- DB129 says He left Shíráz during the month of Shavvál, 1260 (14October to 11 November, 1844).
- SBBH1 xxviii shows the departure date as 12 November, 1844.
- Balyuzi, B57 says "in the month of September.
|Iran, Persia, Saudi Arabia, Shíráz, Búshihr, Mecca
||Bab, Quddus, Haji Mulla Muhammad-`Aliy-i-Barfurushi, Ethiopian, servant, Mubarak
|1844 2 or 3 Oct
||The Báb departs from Búshihr on His pilgrimage. [B57; MH119, 121, GPB9]
- He instructs His followers to await His arrival in Karbalá. [DB86, 87; MH122; SBBH1:23]
- He has been awaiting the letter from Mullá Husayn before starting on His pilgrimage. [DB123; MH117]
- The vessel taking the Báb to Jiddah is probably the Arab sailing-boat named Futúh-ar-Ras`ul. [B69]
- He joined the company of a group of pilgrims from Fárs. [DB76-77]
|Karbalá, Iraq, Jiddah, Saudi Arabia
||Bab pilgrimage, Mulla Husayn, Futuh-ar-Ras`ul
|1844. c. Dec
||The Báb and His companions arrive in Jiddah after a rough sea voyage of two months. There they put on the garb of the pilgrim and proceed to Mecca by camel. [B71; DB129, 132]
- See B69–71 and DB130–1 for a description of the voyage.
- Quddús walks from Jiddah to Mecca. [B71, DB132, GPB9]
|Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, Mecca, Saudi arabia
||Bab, sea voyage, Mecca, Quddus
|1844. 12 Dec
||The Báb arrives in Mecca and performs the rites of pilgrimage in company with 100,000 other pilgrims. [GPB9]
- See B70 and SA107-8 for the timing, rites and significance of the pilgrimage.
|Mecca, Saudi Arabia
||Báb, pilgrimage, pilgrim
|1844. 20 - 21 Dec
||The Báb offers 19 lambs as a sacrifice in the prescribed manner, distributing the meat to the poor and needy. [B71; DB133]
||Mecca, Saudi Arabia
||Bab, lambs, sacrifice
|1844 c. 20 Dec
||The Báb makes a declaration of His mission by standing at the Ka`bih, holding the ring of the door and repeating three times that He is the Qá'im.
- He makes an open challenge to Mírzá Muhammad-Husayn-i-Kirmání, known as Muhít, of the Shaykhí school and sends an invitation to the Sharíf of Mecca to embrace the new Revelation. The Sharíf is too busy to respond. [B71-74; BW12:89; DB134–8; GPB9, 89]
|Mecca, Saudi Arabia
||Bab, declaration, Ka`bih, Qa'im, Mirza Muhammad-Husayn-i-Kirmani, Muhit, Shaykhi, Sharif
|1845. 16 Jan
||The Báb arrives in Medina from Mecca. [dhut bíy-i-jiddih]
- He reveals `The Epistle between Two Shrines' en route. [B73–4]
- He stays 27 days. [MS2]
- B75 and DB140 indicate that the Báb arrived 10 January. The Research Department at the Bahá`í World Centre states that the date 16 January accords with the Báb's own writings. [report 20 jan 1994]
|Medina, Mecca, Saudi Arabia
||Bab, Epistle between Two Shrines
|1845. 12 Feb
||The Báb leaves Medina for Jiddah. [MS2]
||Medina, Jiddah, Saudi Arabia
|1845. 27 Feb
||The Báb leaves Jiddah. [MS2]
- He disembarks at Muscat and remains there for two months, awaiting news of the outcome of Mullá `Alíy-i-Bastámí's trial. [MS2]
- He sends a letter to the Imám of Muscat. [MS2]
- SBBH23 says the Báb left Jiddah on 4 March.
|Jiddah, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Muscat, Oman
||Bab, Mulla `Aliy-i-Bastami, trial, letter, Imam of Muscat