Search for location "Algeria"
|1953 Late in the year
||‘Abdu’l-Karím Amín Khawja becomes a Bahá’í in Algeria, the first person to accept the Faith in that country.
||First Bahais by country or area
||The first local spiritual assembly in Algeria is formed in Algiers.
||The Berbers in Algeria are first contacted by the Bahá’ís and a number of Berber families enrol.
|1968 4 Nov
||Following the participation of Algerian Bahá’ís in the first Oceanic Conference in Palermo, Sicily, and subsequent international news coverage, foreign Bahá’ís in Algeria are summoned by the police and interrogated. [BW15:172]
||Persecution, Algeria; Persecution, Other; Persecution
|1968 7 Nov
||Sixteen Persian Bahá’ís in Algeria are expelled from the country and their properties confiscated; native Algerian Bahá’ís are put under restrictions and five are exiled to the Sahara and the eastern mountain regions. [BW15:172]
- Following appeals, the confiscated properties are returned and the order of banishment for the local believers is gradually relaxed. [BW15:172]
||Persecution, Algeria; Persecution, Other; Persecution, Court cases; Persecution; Court cases; Human rights
||The Bahá’í Faith is banned in Algeria by official decree, all Bahá’í institutions are disbanded and the National Spiritual Assembly dissolved. [BW15:189; BW19:41]
||Persecution, Algeria; Persecution, Other; Persecution; NSA; Persecution, Bans
from the main catalogue
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í Communities by Country: Research Notes, by Graham Hassall (2000). Brief notes on the history of Baha'i activities and the dates of NSA formation in Africa, China, Australia, and elsewhere. [about]
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.