|1926 First week in Feb
||Martha Root arrives in Bulgaria, the earliest documented visit to that country by a Bahá’í. [MR247]
- She stays 12 days. [MR247]
- Bahá’ís had passed through Bulgaria on their way to Turkey, but Martha Root’s visit is the first one documented.
||Louisa Mathew Gregory moves to Varna, the first Bahá’í to settle in Bulgaria.
||Louisa Mathew Gregory
||Marion Jack arrives in Sofia, Bulgaria, to begin her pioneering service.
|1932 23 Nov
||George Adam Benke passes away in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Shoghi Effendi calls him the first European martyr. [LDG1:263; MC359]
- For his obituary see BW5:416–18.
||George Adam Benke; Names and titles; Martyrs; Firsts, Other
||The first Local Spiritual Assembly of Sofia, Bulgaria, is elected.
|1954 25 Mar
||The passing of Marion Jack (General Jack) at her pioneer post in Sofia, Bulgaria at the age of 87. She had been at her post since 1931. [BWNS385, Never be Afraid to Dare p. 227]
See also Marion Jack: Immortal Heroine by Jan Jasion
See CBNOctober1979 for tributes as well as a photo of her gravesite.
||Marion Jack; General Jack; Pioneers; BWNS
|1954 25 Mar
||Marion Jack passes away in Sofia, Bulgaria. [BW12:674; CF163]
- Shoghi Effendi calls her ‘a shining example to pioneers of present and future generations of East and West’. [CF163]
- For her obituary see BW12:674–7.
- See also BFA2155; MC359.
- For a photo of her gravestone see CBNOct1972p.10.
- See Bahá'í Chronicles for a biography.
||Marion Jack; pioneer; Z****
||The first Adam Benke Project is organized by the Bahá'í European Youth Council in Bulgaria.
- The first semi-public talks and lectures in Bulgaria are given in restaurants, where people are invited to private meetings.
- Eleven people become Bahá'ís.
||European Bahai Youth Council; Youth; Firsts, Other
|1990 11 Nov
||For the first time in 45 years, a Bahá'í meeting is held in a public building in Bulgaria. [BINS236:2]
|1991 2 Jan
||The first local spiritual assembly in Bulgaria is formed in Plovdiv. [BINS239:2]
||First Local Spiritual Assemblies
|1991 25 – 27 Oct
||The first National Teaching Conference of Bulgaria is held in Plovdiv. [BINS258:2–3]
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Teaching; Conferences, National
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Bulgaria is formed with its seat in Sofia. [CBN Jan92 p2, BINS270:1; BW92–3:119; VV121]
- For picture see BINS279:9.
|1992 21 – 23 Aug
||The first National Summer School of Bulgaria is held in Stara Zagora, attended by 75 people. [BINS278:1–2]
||Stara Zagora; Bulgaria
||Summer schools; First summer and winter schools
|1992 26 – 30 Dec
||The first National Bahá'í Winter School of Bulgaria is held in Lovech, attended by 130 Bahá'ís. [BINS286:1–2]
||Winter schools; First summer and winter schools
|1996 23 – 24 Mar
||The first National Women's Seminar of Bulgaria is held in Sofia, organized by the European Task Force for Women. [BINS365:8]
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Women; Women; First conferences