Search for location "Cape Town"
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
||Fanny Knobloch, the first Bahá'í teacher in South Africa, arrived in Cape Town. [BW2:40].
- In her first week she met Miss Busby who within a very short time is the first person to become a Bahá'í in South Africa.
|Cape Town; South Africa
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Egypt and the Sudan is formed, the first national body in Africa. [BBRSM121; GPB333]
Martha Root gives the first African radio broadcast about the Bahá'í Faith, in Cape Town.
|Egypt; Sudan; Cape Town; South Africa
||NSA; Martha Root
||Shoghi Effendi sailed from England to Cape Town and proceeded overland to Cairo. [PP180–1, SETPE1p163]
He travelled through East Africa passing through Rhodesia where he visited the grave of Cecil Rhodes and further north in Rhodesia to see the Victoria Falls.
- He rode as a passenger through part of East Africa with an English hunter and travelled on a train for some five hundred miles.
- He crossed the Nile River through a papyrus swamp on a ferry.
- He was back in Haifa by October. [SETPE1p163]
|United Kingdom; Cape Town; South Africa; Cairo; Egypt; Africa
||Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Shoghi Effendi, Travels of; Shoghi Effendi, Basic timeline; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|1966 12 Dec
||The Hand of the Cause John Robarts departed Africa from Cape Town after a stay of nearly 13 years. They were recalled from their pioneer post by the Universal House of Justice to help Canada win the goals of the Nine Year Plan. The objective was to raise 154 local assemblies by 1973 but the count had fallen from 68 to only 50, eighteen less than the number won during the Ten Year Plan and 104 short of the objective.LNW158
||Cape Town; South Africa; Canada
||John Robarts; Hands of the Cause
|2018 1 - 7 Nov
||More than 7,500 people attended the Parliament of the World’s Religions held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.
This forum began in 1893 at the World Columbian Exposition in Chicago as an effort to promote an emerging international movement devoted to promoting dialogue among religions. Since that time, it has been held in Cape Town (1999), Barcelona (2004), Melbourne (2009) and Salt Lake City (2015). [Website] Bahá'í presenters were:
- Bani Dugal: “The Equality of Women and Men: Divine Imperative for an Age of Transition.”
- Hugh Locke: “Half the Sky, Half the Land: The Role of Women Farmers in Transforming Agriculture,”
- Payam Akhavan: “Equality and Justice, Global Perspectives” and
“Countering War, Hate, and Violence Assembly.”
- Emily Wright: “Making Interreligious Chaplaincy Education Meaningfully Inclusive” and “A New Cup of Grace—A Ukulele Opera
- Hooshmand Badee: “Interfaith Peacemaking Perspectives from Across the World.”
- Nader Saiedi: Presenting the new documentary film The Gate: Dawn of the Bahá’í Faith.
- Paul Hanley: “Man of the Trees: Richard St. Barbe Baker, the First Global Environmentalist.”
- JoAnn Borovicka: “Amazing Faiths! An Interactive Workshop on Interfaith Dialogue.”
- Robert Atkinson: “New Thoughts in Interfaith Spirituality.”
- Robert Stockman: “The Characteristics of Bahá’í Interfaith Dialogue.” Candace Hill: “From Shiraz to Chicago: Bahá’í Women of the East and the West”
- Edward Price: “The Divine Curriculum: Understanding the Báb, Divine Educator for the Modern Era.”
- Sovaida Maani Ewing: “Achieving World Peace: Bahá’í and Catholic Teachings.”
- Jean Muza: “Bahá’í Civic Engagement: How to Maneuver in America’s Divisive Political Landscape.”
- Robert Atkinson: “The Golden Rule as the Basis for a Global Justice System: An Interfaith Perspective with a Call to Action.”
- Edward Price: “The Divine Curriculum Concept as a Framework for Interfaith Inclusion and Love.”
|Toronto; Canada; Chicago; Cape Town; Barcelona; Melbourne; Salt Lake City
||World Parliament of Religions; Z****
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.