Search for location "Karkuk"
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
|1863. 9 May
||Bahá'u'lláh and His party leave Firayját for Istanbul although at this point the destination is unknown to the exiles. [CH57, GPB156; SA235]
- The journey takes 110 days. [GPB156]
- For the details of the journey see BKG176–96; GPB1567; SW13:277.
- See BKG180 for a map of the journey.
- They pass through the following:
[The Bahá'í Faith 1844-1953 :Information Statistical & Comparative p43]
- Saláhíyyih (stay two nights)
- Karkúk (stay two days)
- By the River Záb
- Mosul (stay three days)
- Díyár-Bakr (stay two days)
- Khárpút (stay two or three days)
- Amasia (stay two days)
- Iláhíyyih (the last day of the overland journey)
- Sámsún on the Black Sea. (110 days after departure)
- For the number of people on the journey see BKG179 (72), GPB156 (26 plus members of His family plus guards), RB2:5–6 (54) and SW13:277 (72).
- As the party draws close to Sámsún on the Black Sea Bahá'u'lláh reveals the Súriy-i-Hawdaj. [BKG195; RB2:6]
- The party remains in Sámsún for seven days. [GPB157]
|Firayjat; Samsun; Istanbul; Judaydih; Dili-Abbas; Qarih-Tapih; Salahiyyih; Dust-Khurmatu; Tawuq; Karkuk; Irbil; Bartallih; Mosul; Zakhu; Jazirih; Nisibin; Hasan-Aqa; Mardiin; Diyar-Bakr; Madan-Mis; Kharput; Madan-Nuqrih; Dilik-Tash; Sivas; Tuqat; Amasia; Ilahiyyih
||Bahaullah, Life of; Bahaullah, Banishment of; Journeys; Black Sea; Suriy-i-Hawdaj
||The Court of the First Instance in Karkúk, Iraq, registers a Bahá’í marriage certificate. [MBW4; UD248]
- This is the first time in the East, outside Israel, that a Bahá’í marriage is recognized as being legal, an important precedent for other Oriental countries. [MBW4; UD248]
||Firsts, Other; Marriage; Weddings; Recognition
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.