Search for location "Philippines"
|1921 Late in the year
||Mírzá Husayn Tútí arrives in the Philippines, the earliest known visit by a Bahá'í to this country. He stays for four months.
||Mirza Husayn Tuti
|1938 (In the year)
||Felix Maddela became the first Filipino Bahá’í. His first encounter with the Bahá’í Faith was in 1924 when a purchase he made was wrapped in a piece of old newspaper which contained an article by Martha Root about the religion. As the author’s address did not appear in the article, it was another 14 years before he encountered more about the religion. In the early spring of 1937, Loulie Albee Mathews arrived in Manila on board the “Franconia.” As the boat was to dock for only a few hours, she managed to place in a college library a few pamphlets for the shelf of comparative religions. A few months later, on a visit to Manila from Solano, Nueva Vizcaya, Mr. Maddela came across the literature. This started a series of correspondence with the Bahá’í Publishing Committee of the United States. With Madella so fired up, he immediately taught his family and friends. Shortly before World War II, the Bahá’í’s of Solano numbered around fifty. When war broke out all communications ceased. Immediately after the war, contact was re-established thru Alvin Blum, who was attached to the medical unit of the United States Army. Hitch-hiking to Solano, which was in ruins, he located the Maddelas living in impoverished conditions. Of the fifty enrolled Bahá’í’s, twenty-five had been killed or missing. The others had survived by hiding in rice fields for three years.
[WikipediaThe Bahá’í Faith in the Philippines]
||Manila; Solano; Philippines
||Felix Maddela; Loulie Albee Mathews; Alvin Blum; Z****
|1972 30 Jul
||Parvíz Sádiqí, Farámarz Vujdání and Parvíz Furúghí, Iranian youth pioneers, are murdered near Mindanao, Philippines, by Muslims. [BW15:257; DM316–17]
- The three are found in a shallow grave. All had been shot, grievously mutilated and two had been decapitated. The bodies are removed and given a Bahá'í burial in a beautiful plot donated for the purpose. [CBN261September1972p1]
- For their obituaries see BW15:514–16.
||Persecution, Philippines; Persecution, Deaths; Persecution; Cemeteries and graves
||The Bahá’í Publishing Trust of the Philippines was established in Manila. [DM318]
||Hundreds of members of the Aeta tribe in Tarlac and Pampanga, Philippines, became Bahá’ís. [BINS158:13]
|1988 Nov - 1989 Feb
||Teaching projects are launched in the Philippines, resulting in 3,847 people becoming Bahá’ís. [BINS195:4]
|2002 19 Mar
||The establishment of the seventh Bahá'í radio station in Bulac, Philippines, located in a rural district some 30 kilometers from the city of San José on the main island of Luzon.
- The station operates at 1584 kHz on the AM band, broadcasting at a power of 1,000 watts. Due to the flat topography of the region, it reaches a wide area encompassing the entire province of Nueva Ecija and a portion of Tarlac and Pangasinan provinces, with a potential listenership of more than 2.3 million people. [BWNS181]
||Bahai radio; BWNS
|2002 26 Nov
||The inauguration of a new radio station at Bulac, Philippines. The station operates at 1584 kHz on the AM band, broadcasting at a power of 1,000 watts with a potential listenership of more than 2.3 million people. [BWNS181]
||Bahai radio; BWNS
|2008 29 – 30 Nov
||Regional Conferences held in Antofagasta, Chile, Manila, Philippines and Yaoundé, Cameroon. [BWNS675]
||Antofagasta; Chile; Manila; Philippines; Yaounde; Cameroon
||Regional Conferences; BWNS
|2016 (End of the Five Year Plan)
||The Preparation for Social Action programme that was implemented at the beginning of the Five Year Plan was expanded to seven additional countries: Cambodia, Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Panama, the Philippines and Vanuatu.
- Over 10,000 had participated in the programme with about 1,800 among these who had studied all of the texts available.
- In addition some 1,700 individuals serving institutions and agencies of the Fatih in 25 countries had studied a selection the the materials in a seminar setting. [5YPSumPage94-95]
- Preparation for Social Action was implemented as a course of study at the New Era High School and Senior Secondary in Panchgani.
|Cambodia; Central African Republic; Democratic Republic of the Congo; Ecuador; Panama; Philippines; Vanuatu
||Five Year Plan (2011-2016); Teaching Plans; Preparation for Social Action; Z****
||The announcement of the translation and publication of the Kitab-i-Aqdas into the Philippines’ second most widely spoken language, Cebuano. (Translation into Tagalog was completed in 2003.) This translation was done by Dr Gil Tabucanon and was completed after ten years of effort. Publication was done by the Philippines Baha’i Publishing Trust.
Among the languages into which the Kitab-i-Aqdas has been translated, in addition to English, are Albanian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Marathi, Norwegian, Oriya, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
|Manila; Solano; Philippines
||Translation; Cebuano language; Tagalog language; Kitab-i-Aqdas (Most Holy Book); BWNS
from the main catalogue
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Messages from the Universal House of Justice 1963-1986: Third Epoch of the Formative Age, by Universal House of Justice (1996). [about]
- Politics of Service, The: Medical Aid to the Philippines, by David Langness, in dialogue magazine, 1:4 (1987). On delivering volunteer hospital services and emergency aid to a corrupted country lacking political stability. [about]
- Rizal, Revelation and Revolution: Rizal's Letter to the Women of Malolos and Baha'u'llah's letter to Nabil Akbar Lawh-i-Hikmat (Tablet of Wisdom) , by Stephen Ramo (2011). Comparison of letter by Philippine national hero José Rizal to the women of Malolos with Bahá'u'lláh's "Tablet of Wisdom" to Nabil. [about]
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.