Taiwan Bahá'í Chronicle:
An Historical Record of the Early Days of the Bahá'í Faith in Taiwan
8. The Second Local Spiritual Assembly
of the Bahá'ís of Tainan
On April 21, 1957 the Local Spiritual Assembly of the
Bahá'ís of Tainan was elected for the second time. The members
were Mr. Jerome Chu, Mrs. and Mrs. Suleimani, Mrs. Ruthy Tu, Mr. Winston Luk,
Mr. Tsao Li-shih, Mr. Ho Cheng-tzu, Mr. Wang Chi-chang, and Mr. Pai Chung-chien.
Mr. Chu was the chairman and Mr. Suleimani the secretary.
According to an annual report sent for 1957/58 to the parent assembly in
Tokyo, the Tainan Assembly was very active. For example it met regularly, had
study classes twice a week, public meetings every Sunday, conducted a
once-a-week fireside and on Saturday night had a dinner party. All of these
activities were held in the Bahá'í Center. Mrs. Tu also had her
own study class. The Suleimanis made forty-two teaching trips that year to
Taipei, Tsoying and Chia-yi. Mr. Wong Hou-len had a study class at his residence
in Tsoying, and the Tainan Bahá'ís helped.
During 1957 the National Spiritual Assembly of North East Asia appointed Mr.
Jerome Chu and Professor Tsao Li-shih to the Translation Committee of Taiwan.
Their first project was to revise and print one thousand copies of a pamphlet
in Chinese which had originally been translated by the Chinese
Bahá'ís in Kuching, Borneo (now Sarawak), and printed there.
However, Mr. Chu assured the National Assembly the essence of the original
pamphlet had not been changed.