Search for tag "Abdul-Baha, Passing of"
|1921 28 Nov
||Ascension of `Abdu'l-Bahá
`Abdu'l-Bahá passes away at about 1:00 a.m., in Haifa. [AB452; BBD4; BBR347; GPB311; UD170]
- For details of His passing see DOMH210-216, AB452, BW1:19-23; BW15:113-15 and GPB310-11.
- This marks the end of the Apostolic, Heroic or Primitive Age of the Bahá'í Faith and the beginning of the Transitional Formative or Iron Age. [BBD35-6]
- For a photograph of the cable sent announcing His passing see SW12, 15:245.
- See The Passing of 'Abdu'l-Bahá by Shoghi Effendi and Lady Blomfield.
- For a pen portrait of 'Abdu'l-Bahá see The Oriental Rose by Mary Hanford Ford pg 158-159
- Also see AB452-83; HLS93-100.
- See GPB309-320 for a summation of the events that took place in the lifetime of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, during the Heroic Age of the Faith.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Ages and Epochs; Heroic Age; Formative Age; Abdul-Baha, Life of; - Basic timeline, Condensed; - Basic timeline, Expanded; Abdul-Baha, Basic timeline; Holy days; Covenant (general)
|1921 29 Nov
||The funeral of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [BW15:115]
- For details of the funeral see AB464-74; BW1:23-6; BW15:115-19; GPB312-14; and SW12, 17:259-67.
- For Western and newspaper accounts see AB474-80; BBR347-9; BW1:26-8; and BW15:119-20.
- For eulogies to `Abdu'l-Bahá see AB481-2, BW1:28-9 and BW15 120-1.
- Ten thousand people attend `Abdu'l-Bahá's funeral. [v7]
- For a number of pictures of the funeral procession see SW12, 91:290, 292-8.
- Bahíyyih Khánum looks for instructions on where to bury `Abdu'l-Bahá and, finding none, entombs Him in a vault next to the one where the remains of the Báb lie. [AB464; GBF14]
- The Faith has spread to 35 countries. [MBW61; PP391]
- The Bahá'í property at Bahjí does not exceed a thousand square metres; the Bahá'í property on Mount Carmel is about ten thousand square metres. [PP267]
- Also see Balyuzi, `Abdu'l-Bahá; Blomfield, The Chosen Highway; Honnold, Vignettes from the Life of `Abdu'l-Bahá; SW12, 15:245 and several following issues.
|Haifa; Bahji; Mount Carmel
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Abdul-Baha, Life of; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Bab, Shrine of; - Basic timeline, Expanded; Abdul-Baha, Basic timeline
|1921 29 Nov
||A cable is sent to London with news of `Abdu'l-Bahá's passing. Shoghi Effendi is summonsed to the office of Wellesley Tudor Pole, probably at at 61, St. James St. in London, and learns of his grandfather's passing about noon after seeing the cable on Tudor Pole's desk. [GBF13]
- See GBF13 and PP39-40 for Shoghi Effendi's reaction.
|London; United Kingdom
||Abdul-Baha, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Wellesley Tudor Pole
|1921 2 Dec
||Ethel Rosenberg arrives in the Holy Land, having learned on the train from Port Said of the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [ER181-2]
||Ethel Rosenberg; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1921 4 Dec
||On the seventh day after the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá, corn is distributed in His name to about a thousand of the poor.
- Up to this day 50 to 100 poor are fed daily at the Master's House. [BW15:122]
||Abdul-Baha, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; House of Abdul-Baha (Haifa)
|1921 29 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi arrives in the Holy Land from England by train from Egypt. [GBF14; PP42]
- An envelope addressed to him from 'Abdu'l-Bahá is waiting for him. It contained the Will and Testament. [Ruhi8.2p2]
- He is so worn and grief-stricken that he has to be assisted up the stairs and is confined to bed for a number of days. [CB285]
|United Kingdom; Egypt; Haifa
||Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Abdul-Baha, Writings and talks of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1922 3 Jan
||The Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá is read aloud for the first time, to a group of nine men, mainly senior members of `Abdu'l-Bahá's family. [BBRSM115; CB286; ER194; GBF14; PP45]
- Shoghi Effendi is not present at the reading. [CB286; ER194]
- Shoghi Effendi is appointed Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith. [WT11]
- Shoghi Effendi had no fore-knowledge of the institution of the Guardianship nor that he would be appointed Guardian. [CB285; PP423]
||Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Abdul-Baha, Writings and talks of; Guardianship; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Shoghi Effendi, Basic timeline; - Basic timeline, Condensed; - Basic timeline, Expanded; Abdul-Baha, Basic timeline; Covenant (general)
|1922 6 Jan
||A memorial feast for 600 people of Haifa, `Akká and the surrounding area is held 40 days after the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [BW15:122; ER195]
- More than a hundred poor are also fed. [BW15:122; ERT95-6]
- For details of the memorial service see ER195-9 and SW13, 2:404.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1922 7 Jan
||The Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá is read publicly at his house to an assembled gathering of Bahá'ís from many countries. [ER199-200]
The Greatest Holy Leaf sends two cables to Persia, informing the Bahá'ís that Shoghi Effendi has been appointed Guardian and instructing them to hold memorial services for `Abdu'l-Bahá. [PP47]
- Shoghi Effendi is again absent. [ER200]
||Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Guardianship; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Abdul-Baha, House of
|1971 26 – 28 Nov
||The fiftieth anniversary of the passing of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá is commemorated. [BW15:125–8; VV14]
- For text of the letters of the Universal House of Justice see BW15:125–6 and MUHJ76–7.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Ascension of (November 28), by Christopher Buck, in Religious Celebrations: An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations (2011). [about]
- Dawn over Mount Hira and Other Essays, by Marzieh Gail (1976). A collection of essays on various topics of interest to Baha'i studies and history. Most of these were first published in Star of the West and World Order between 1929 and 1971. [about]
- Fiftieth Anniversary of The Master: Performance piece, by Jim Wood (1968). An artistic piece appropriate for play at the commemoration of the ascension of 'Abdu'l-Baha. Produced, performed, and narrated by Jim Wood; also read by Deborah Buttrey. [about]
- Messages from the Universal House of Justice 1963-1986: Third Epoch of the Formative Age, by Universal House of Justice (1996). [about]
- Passing of Abdu'l-Baha (Nov 1921) (2018). The weeks and days leading up to, during and following the passing of Abdu'l-Baha, presented as original accounts in chronological order. [about]
- Passing of Abdu'l-Baha, The, by Shoghi Effendi and Lady Blomfield (1922). A compilation on the last days of 'Abdu'l-Baha, his funeral, and tributes on his behalf. Later published in abridged form in World Order. [about]