Search for tag "BWC Pilgrimage"
|1898. 22 Sep
||The first Western pilgrims depart for `Akká, travelling via New York and Paris. [BFA1:XXVIII, 140–1, 230]
- It is arranged by Phoebe Hearst, who had already planned a journey to Egypt for the autumn. [BFA1:140]
- There are 15 pilgrims in all. [AB68]
||Pilgrimage; Phoebe Hearst; Lua Getsinger; Edward Getsinger; Robert Turner; BWC Pilgrimage
|1898. 10 Dec
||The first Western pilgrims arrive in `Akká. [AB68; BBD13; BBRXXX; DH214; GPB257; SCU13]
- They divide themselves into three parties, using Cairo as a staging post. [AB68; BFA1:143; SBBH1:93]
- See AB68–72; BFA2:9; DH61; GPB257, 259 for those included in the pilgrimage group.
- Included were Mrs Hearst's nieces, a few American friends and, joining in London, Mrs Mary Thornburgh-Cropper and her mother. [SCU13. CH234-236]
- See BFA1:143–4 for those included in the first group.
- Among the group is Robert Turner, the first member of the black race to become a Bahá'í. For 35 years, Turner faithfully served as butler to Phoebe Apperson Hearst and Senator George Hearst, parents of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst. [AB72; BBD227; BFA1:139; GPB259]
- `Abdu'l-Bahá receives the pilgrims in the House of `Abdu'lláh Páshá. [BBD13, 108; DH61]
- See AB68–71; BW16:104–5; CH235–6 and GPB257–9 for the pilgrims' responses to the pilgrimage.
- Edward Getsinger makes a recording of `Abdu'l-Bahá chanting a prayer. [BFA1:160]
- The Getsingers returned from the pilgrimage with an Arabic copy of The Kitáb-i-Aqdas which was later translated by Anton Haddad. [BFA2:11]
|`Akka; Cairo; House of `Abdu'llah Pasha
||Robert Turner; Edward Getsinger; The Kitab-i-Aqdas; Anton Haddad; pilgrimage; BWC Pilgrimage
|1909 months following Mar
||Construction of the Eastern Pilgrim House in Haifa begins. [BBD178]
- Mírzá Ja`far Rahmání, (also know as Áqá Mírzá Ja’far Shírází) a believer from `Ishqábád, is given permission by `Abdu'l-Bahá to build it. [DH177, SES25-26]
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá composes an inscription that it place above the entrance that reads, "This is a spiritual Hostel for Pilgrims, and its founder is Mírzá Ja'far Rahmani. AH 1327."
- This is the first property to be granted tax exemption by the civil authorities. [GPB307, SES43-47]
||Eastern Pilgrim House; Mirza Ja`far Rahmani; Áqa Mirza Ja’far Shirazi; BWC Pilgrimage
||Amelia Collins contributes the funds necessary to complete the Western Pilgrim House. [DH180; PSBW76]
||Amelia Collins; Western Pilgrim House; BWC Pilgrimage
|1963 16 Jun
||The Universal House of Justice announces that it will for the present use the Western Pilgrim House at 10 Haparsim Street, Haifa, as its seat and that both the Eastern and Western Pilgrim will be housed in the Haifa Pilgrim House. [WG9]
||Western Pilgrim House; UHJ; BWC Pilgrimage
||Owing to the increased flow of pilgrims, the pilgrim house in Haifa is converted to a pilgrim centre and the decision taken to accommodate pilgrims in hotels. [DH178]
||pilgrimage; BWC Pilgrimage
|2000 18 Sep
||The announcement of the opening of the new Pilgrim Reception Centre near the Shrine of the Báb to receive Bahá'í pilgrims and visitors to the Bahá'í holy places in Haifa and Acre. The Centre is housed in two historic buildings that formerly served as a clinic. Remodeling these two structures began in 1998. The larger one was built during the time of the British Mandate and the smaller structure has a more Middle Eastern appearance, with patterned ceramic floors and stone arches. The first Bahá'í Pilgrim House in Haifa was built near the Shrine of the Bab by a Persian believer in 1909 and continued to serve as the primary gathering place for pilgrims until the new facility was completed. [BWNS67]
||Pilgrim Reception Centre; BWC Pilgrimage
||After 15 years of negotiations, research, and planning, the restoration work began on the cell used to imprison Bahá'u'lláh when He was first incarcerated in ‘Acre. Approved by government authorities keen to preserve the heritage of the site, the project was supervised and financed by the Bahá'í World Centre. [BWNS336]
||Baha'u'llah; BWC Pilgrimage
|2017. 25 Aug
||The announcement of the opening of the new Pilgrim Reception Centre.
The three-story stone structure, which is located immediately to the west of the Shrine of the Bab, was opened in time to receive the season’s first pilgrim group in October, on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the birth of Baha’u’llah. [BWNS1188]