Search for tag "Buenos Aires"
|1919 20 Sep
||Martha Root arrives in Argentina, the first recorded visit of a Bahá'í to this country. [MR101]
- She remains in Buenos Aires until 4 October. [MR101]
- See MR101-2 and MRHK61-5 for her teaching work in Argentina.
- See MR103-6 and MRHK66-9 for her journey over the Andes on a mule.
|Buenos Aires; Argentina
||Martha Root; Andes
|1940 1 Mar
||May Bolles Maxwell passes away in Buenos Aires. [BBD153; BW8:631 TG49]
- Shoghi Effendi awards her the honour of a ‘martyr’s death’ and a Disciple of 'Abdu'l-Bahá. [BW8:631; MA38]
- She was the first Bahá'í on European soil and the "mother" of both the French and the Canadian Bahá'í communities. [PP149]
- For the story of her life see BW17:437–8.
- Shoghi Effendi asks her husband, Sutherland Maxwell, to design her tomb, which is to be a ‘historic centre’ for ‘pioneer Bahá’í activity’. [BW8:642]
- For an account of the erection of the monument to her see PSBW83–6.
||May Bolles Maxwell; martyr; Sutherland Maxwell; Disciple of 'Abdu'l-Baha; Mother of the French Baha'i community; Mother of the Canadian Baha'i community
||The first local spiritual assembly of Argentina is established in Buenos Aires.
|1943 30 May
||The dedication of the Memorial to May Ellis Maxwell, Quilmes Cemetery, Buenos Aires,
Argentina. [Bahá'í News July 1943 No 169 page 3, 564/1186]
|| Buenos Aires;
||May Ellis Maxwell; May Maxwell; Quilmes Cemetery
||The Regional Spiritual Assembly of Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia is formed at Buenos Aires, Argentina. [BW13:257]
||Buenos Aires; Argentina
|1992 23 – 26 Nov
||The Second World Congress was held in New York City to commemorate the centenary of the passing of Bahá'u'lláh and the completion of the Six Year Plan. It was attended by some 28,000 Bahá'ís from some 180 countries. [BBD240] [VV136-141] [BW92-3p98-101, 136]
- Nine auxiliary conferences were held in Buenos Aires, Sydney, New Delhi, Nairobi, Panama City, Bucharest, Moscow, Apia and Singapore. [BINS283:3-4]
- For pictures see [BINS283:9-10], [BW92-3p100] and [VV136-141]
- "New York will become a blessed spot from which the call to steadfastness in the Covenant and Testament of God will go forth to every part of the world." - 'Abdu'l-Bahá [AWH77-8 90-1 105-6]
- On the 25th of November a concert was held in Carnegie Hall as a birthday tribute to Dizzy Gillespie called "Celebrating the Bahá'í Vision of World Peace". [VV141]
- On the 26th of November Bahá'ís around the world are linked together by a live satellite broadcast serving the second Bahá'í World Congress, the nine auxiliary conferences and the Bahá'í World Centre and is received by those with access to satellite dish antennas. [BINS283:1–5, 8; BINS286:10; BINS287:4]
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice read on the satellite link see BW92–3:37–4.
- For accounts of personal experiences by some of the attendees see In the Eyes of His Beloved Servants: The Second Bahá'í World Congress and Holy Year by J. Michael Kafes.
| New York; Buenos Aires; Sydney; New Delhi; Nairobi; Panama City; Bucharest; Moscow; Apia; Singapore.
||Dizzy Gillespie; The Second World Congress; Carnegie Hall