|1944 19–25 May
||An international celebration of the Centenary of the founding of the Faith is held at the House of Worship in Wilmette.
- For a description of this event see BW10:158–61.
- For the programme see BW10:162–70.
- For a list of the countries participating in the conference see BW10:168.
|Wilmette; United States
||Centenaries; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Wilmette
|1944 22 May
||Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb.
- For a survey of the growth and development of the Bahá’í Faith in the hundred years since its inception see BW10:142–9.
- Celebrations are held in many parts of the world:
- Britain [BW10:188–201]
Sir Ronald Storrs delivered an address at the opening of the Bahá'í Centenary Exhibition in
London. These are extracts from that speech: “My first glimpse of ‘Abbás Effendi was in the
summer of 1909, when I drove round the Bay of Acre in an Arab cab, visited him in the
barracks and marveled at his serenity and cheerfulness after 42 years of exile and
imprisonment. I kept touch with him through my confidential agent, Husayn Bey Ruhi, son of
a Tabriz martyr. [BW10p189-195]
- India [BW10:202–8]
- Egypt [BW10:208–17]
- Iraq [BW10:217–22]
- Australia [BW 10:222–8]
- Latin America [BW10:228–33]
- The end of the celebrations marking this occasion signal the end of the First Epoch of the Formative Age. [BBD79; CF5; PP390]
||Centenaries; Bab, Declaration of; Formative Age; Ages and Epochs
|1944 22–23 May
||The Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb is celebrated at the House of the Báb in Shíráz. [BW10:181]
- Ninety delegates to the national convention and members of the National Spiritual Assembly of Iran assemble discreetly for the occasion.
- For details of this event and the caution with which the arrangements for it are made see BW10:181–3.
- The Guardian sends the Persian Bahá’ís a lengthy letter detailing how the observance and the week-long festivities to follow are to be made. [BW10:183]
- For details of the events see BW10:183–8.
||Bab, Declaration of; Bab, House of (Shiraz); Conventions, National; NSA; Centenaries
|1944 22–23 May
||The Centenary of the Declaration of the Báb is commemorated in the Holy Land. [BW10:150]
- For a description of this event by Rúhíyyih Khánum see BW10:150–7.
- For press accounts see BW10:156–7.
||Centenaries; Bab, Declaration of
|1944 23 May
||Shoghi Effendi unveils the model of the Shrine of the Báb at the centenary celebration of the Declaration of the Báb in Haifa. [BBD210; BW10:154, 157; DH140; GBF104; PP239–40; UD166]
- BW10:157 suggests this was 24 May
|BWC; Mount Carmel; Haifa
||Bab, Shrine of; Bab, Declaration of; Centenaries; Models; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Shoghi Effendi, Basic timeline; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|1950 9 Jul
||The Centenary of the Martyrdom of the Báb is commemorated.
- For Shoghi Effendi’s message to the Bahá’ís on this occasion see BW12:191–3.
- For accounts of commemorations around the world see BW12:205–8.
- A small group of Bahá’í pilgrims visit the site of the Báb’s martyrdom and other places associated with His life. [BW12:217–26]
- The columned arcade and parapet of the Shrine of the Báb are completed. [ZK284–5]
|Haifa; Mount Carmel; Iran; Worldwide
||Centenaries; Bab, Martyrdom of; Bab, Shrine of; Pilgrimage; Pilgrims
|1951 30 Nov
||Shoghi Effendi announces plans for the Great Jubilee commemorating the centenary of the birth of the Revelation of Bahá’u’lláh in the Síyáh-Chál. [BW12:24–6, 115–16; MBW16–18]
||Great Jubilee; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Birth of Revelation of
|1952 8 Oct
||Holy Year, "The Great Jubilee", October 1952 to October 1953, is inaugurated. [BW12:116; DG84; PP409–10; SBR170–1]
- Centenary celebrations of the birth of Bahá’u’lláh’s mission are initiated. [MBW16–18]
- Four international conferences are scheduled in Kampala, Wilmette (dedication of the Temple), Stockholm and New Delhi. [SETPE2p31-43]
|Kampala; Uganda; Wilmette; United States; Stockholm; Sweden; New Delhi; India
||Great Jubilee; Holy Years; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Birth of Revelation of; Siyah Chal (Black Pit)
|1953 29 Apr - 2 May
||The All-American Jubilee celebrations begin. [BW12:149]
|1958 21–28 Nov
||The Second Conclave of the Hands of the Cause convenes at Bahjí. [BW13:347–8; MC118]
- It is attended by 25 of the 27 Hands of the Cause. [BW13:347; MC118]
- The Hands of the Cause call for the election of the Universal House of Justice at the time of the Most Great Jubilee in 1963. BBRSM129; BW13:351; MC122]
||Hands of the Cause, Conclaves; Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Activities; Most Great Jubilee; Centenaries
|1961 5 Nov
||The Hands of the Cause issue a message from their fifth Conclave. [MC313–23]
- They call for the election of the Universal House of Justice at a convention to be held in the Holy Land on the first, second and third days of Ridván 1963. [CB392; MC321]
- They ask the electors to leave the Hands free to ‘discharge their duties’. [MC321]
- The celebration of the Most Great Jubilee, the Centenary of the Declaration of Bahá’u’lláh, is to be held in London rather than Baghdád, owing to the situation in the Middle East. [MC322]
|Haifa; Baghdad; Iraq; London; United Kingdom
||Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Activities; Hands of the Cause, Conclaves; Bahji; Most Great Jubilee; World congresses; Centenaries; Universal House of Justice, Election of; UHJ
|1963 28 Apr - 2 May
||The first Bahá’í World Congress, the ‘Most Great Jubilee’, is held in London to celebrate the centenary of the declaration of Bahá’u’lláh. [BW14:57]
- For a detailed account and many pictures see BW14:57–80.
- For the programme of speakers see BW14:60–1.
- Some 6,000 Bahá’ís attend.
|London; United Kingdom
||Most Great Jubilee; World Congresses; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Declaration of; First conferences; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|1967 5 – 10 Oct
||Six Intercontinental Conferences are held simultaneously in Panama City, Wilmette, Sydney, Kampala, Frankfurt and New Delhi to celebrate the centenary of the proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh to the kings and rulers of the world in September/October of 1867. [BW 14:221]
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice to the conferences see BW14:221–2.
- For descriptions of each conference see BW14:223–58.
- The six Hands of the Cause representing the Universal House of Justice at the conferences travelled to Adrianople to visit the House of Bahá’u’lláh before dispersing to the conferences. [BW14:236, 458; VV2]
|Panama; Wilmette; US; Sydney; Australia; Kampala; Uganda; Frankfurt; Germany; New Delhi; India
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Intercontinental; Tablets to Kings and rulers; Centenaries
|1967 29 Oct
||The launch of the Centenary of Bahá'u'lláh's proclamation to the kings and the rulers in Toronto. A 30-minute memorial service for Catherine Huxtable was added to the progrm that included an eulogy by Michael Rochester. [LNW176-179]
||Tablets to Kings and rulers; Centenaries; Catherine Huxtable
|1968 26 – 31 Aug
||The centenary of the arrival of Bahá’u’lláh in the Holy Land is commemorated at the World Centre. [BW15:81–4]
- For details of the commemoration, the pilgrimage to follow and pictures see BW15:81–6.
|Haifa; BWC; Israel
||Centenaries; Pilgrimage; Bahaullah, Banishment of
|1970 23 Jun
||The centenary of the death of Mírzá Mihdí is commemorated with a day of prayer by Bahá’ís around the world and in the Holy Land with a pilgrimage to the barracks in ‘Akká, Bahjí and to his monument. [BW15:162–3]
||Mirza Mihdi (Purest Branch); Centenaries; Monument gardens
|1973 5 Jun
||The Universal House of Justice asked the Bahá’ís to commemorate on the Feast of Núr, the one hundredth anniversary of Bahá’u’lláh’s departure from ‘Akká and move to Mazra‘ih. [VV21]
||Centenaries; Bahaullah, Banishment of; Mazraih
|1977 11 Jun
||The centenary of the termination of Bahá’u’lláh’s confinement in ‘Akká is commemorated at the World Centre. [BW17:64]
||Centenaries; Bahaullah, Banishment of
|1980 2 May
||The Bahá’ís of India commemorate the centenary of the founding of the Bahá’í Faith in their country with a reception attended by about 400 guests, including the Minister of Foreign Affairs. [BW18:246–7]
||Centenaries; Prominent visitors
|1992 27 – 30 May
||Thirty thousand Bahá'ís representing approximately 200 countries and territories, gather at the Bahá'í World Centre to mark the Centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh. [BINS271:1–2; BW92–3:96–8, 121]
On the 27th of May...the gathering of one hundred thirteen Knights of Bahá'u'lláh along with 19 representatives of every National Spiritual Assembly (165) and 9 representatives of every territory without a National Spiritual Assembly (40-50) at Bahjí in commemoration of the ascension of Bahá'u'lláh (some 3,000 persons). A scroll bearing the Roll of Honour of the Knights of Bahá'u'lláh was deposited at the entrance door of the inner Sanctuary of the Most Holy Shrine. [AWH90 105] [VV128] [BW92-3p98] [BINS271:1]
- For pictures see BINS271:10 and BW92–3:97.
||Bahaullah, Ascension of; Bahaullah, Shrine of; Roll of Honour; Knights of Bahaullah; Holy days; Centenaries; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|1992 28 May
||Ibsen Valls Pinheiro, President of the Federal Chamber of Deputies, opens a special session of the Chamber called to observe the Centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh, attended by 45 federal deputies. [BINS271:2; BW92–3:121]
Note: VV133 says this was 29 May.
- For picture see BW92–3:122.
||Ibsen Valls Pinheiro; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Centenaries
|1992 May 29
||The Commemoration of the Centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh at Bahjí and the walk from the German Settlement to the Shrine of the Báb, the circumambulation of the Shrine and the walk to the Seat of the Universal House of Justice for the viewing of a projected portrait of Bahá'u'lláh, and a candle-lit programme of prayers and readings. The 3 a.m. observances circled the globe in some 71,000 localities with prayers and readings beginning in the Eastern Pacific Ocean time zone and going west. At 1PM in the Seat of the Universal House of Justice, there was a viewing of the passport photo of Bahá'u'lláh taken in 1868. [BINS271:1–2; BW92–3:96–7; VV129–30, SDSC367-368]
- For the tribute to Bahá'u'lláh by the Universal House of Justice see BW92–3:31–6.
- For pictures see BINS271:10 and VV129, 130.
|World Centre; BWC
||Bahaullah, Shrine of; Bab, Shrine of; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Holy days
|1992 May 29
||The Centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh is commemorated at the Guardian's Resting Place in London.
||London; United Kingdom
||Shoghi Effendi, Resting place of; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of
|1992 9 Jul
||The National Post Office of Panama issues a commemorative envelope to mark the centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh. [BW92–3:127]
- For picture see BW92–3:127.
||Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Stamps
|1992 25 Oct – 11 Nov
||Prince Alfred von Lichtenstein tours ten cities in Japan delivering memorial lectures celebrating the centenary of the Ascension of Bahá'u'lláh. [BW92–3:132]
||Prince Alfred von Lichtenstein; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of
|1992 23 – 26 Nov
||The Second World Congress was held in New York City to commemorate the centenary of the passing of Bahá'u'lláh and the completion of the Six Year Plan. It was attended by some 28,000 Bahá'ís from some 180 countries. [BBD240] [VV136-141] [BW92-3p98-101, 136]
- Nine auxiliary conferences were held in Buenos Aires, Sydney, New Delhi, Nairobi, Panama City, Bucharest, Moscow, Apia and Singapore. [BINS283:3-4]
- For pictures see [BINS283:9-10], [BW92-3p100] and [VV136-141]
- "New York will become a blessed spot from which the call to steadfastness in the Covenant and Testament of God will go forth to every part of the world." - 'Abdu'l-Bahá [AWH77-8 90-1 105-6]
- On the 25th of November a concert was held in Carnegie Hall as a birthday tribute to Dizzy Gillespie called "Celebrating the Bahá'í Vision of World Peace". [VV141]
- On the 26th of November Bahá'ís around the world are linked together by a live satellite broadcast serving the second Bahá'í World Congress, the nine auxiliary conferences and the Bahá'í World Centre and is received by those with access to satellite dish antennas. [BINS283:1–5, 8; BINS286:10; BINS287:4]
- For the message of the Universal House of Justice read on the satellite link see BW92–3:37–4.
- For accounts of personal experiences by some of the attendees see In the Eyes of His Beloved Servants: The Second Bahá'í World Congress and Holy Year by J. Michael Kafes.
|New York; United States; Buenos Aires; Argentina; Sydney; Australia; New Delhi; India; Nairobi; Kenya; Panama; Bucharest; Romania; Moscow; Russia; Apia; Samoa; Singapore
||World Congresses; Carnegie Hall; Centenaries; Bahaullah, Ascension of; Dizzy Gillespie; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|2001 20 - 23 Dec
||The Fire in the Pacific conference in Honolulu, Hawaii to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Faith in Hawaii. It was attended by over 1,000 Bahá'ís from at least 53 nations. Among the highlights of the conference was a parade , to the resting place of Agnes Baldwin Alexander, who was the first to bring word of the Bahá'í Faith to the Hawaiian Islands — and, indeed, the entire Pacific region — in December 1901. Born in Hawaii, the granddaughter of missionaries, Ms Alexander first heard about the Bahá'í Faith while on a trip to Europe. Returning to her native Hawaii on 26 December 1901, she devoted the rest of her life to spreading the teachings of Baha'u'llah in the Pacific and later in Japan. She passed away on January 1st, 1971. [Life of Agnes Alexander- D.Troxel, BWNS148]
||Centenaries; Agnes Alexander; BWNS
|2011 27 – 28 Aug
||The Bahá'ís of Geneva commemorated the 100th anniversary of the start of ‘Abdu'l-Baha's journeys to the West. [BWNS854]
||Abdul-Baha, Travels of; Centenaries; BWNS
|2013 11 Apr – 5 Dec
||The commemoration of the centenary of the visit of ‘Abdu'l-Bahá to North America. [BWNS918]
||Wilmette; United States
||Centenaries; Abdul-Baha, Travels of; BWNS
|2017 20 - 22 Oct
||Bicentenary of the Birth of Bahá'u'lláh
From the time of the setting of the sun on October 21st in Kiribati, an island republic in the Central Pacific just west of the International Date Line, until sunset in Hawaii on the 22nd of October, 72 hours later, celebrations were held in thousands of localities throughout the world commemorating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Bahá'u'lláh.
Coverage on the bicentenary website began soon after 8:00 GMT on 20 October and concluded at 4:00 GMT on 23 October documenting some of the thousands of celebrations.
A number of countries issue commemorative stamps to mark the occasion of the bicentenary of Bahá'u'lláh's birth.
||Bahaullah, Birth of; Twin Holy days; Holy days; Centenaries; Websites; Internet; Publications; Stamps; BWNS; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|2017 22 Oct
||The bicentenary of the birth of Bahá'u'lláh is commemorated around the world. A multi-lingual web page is implemented to track the celebrations. [BWNS1212]
||Bahaullah, Birth of; Twin Holy days; Holy days; Bahaullah, Life of; Centenaries; BWNS
|2017. 30 Nov
||Baha’is celebrated the bicentennial of the birth of Bahá'u'lláh in a ceremony in Baghdad attended by representatives from the Iraqi parliament, the Iraqi High Commission for Human Rights (IHCHR), the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq, civil society as well as media activists.
This is considered the most prominent ceremony where Baha’is officially announced themselves for the first time in 47 years, as the Baathist Revolutionary Command Council issued Decree No. 105 in 1970 to ban Baha’i activities. As a consequence, Baha’i administrative institutions in Iraq were dissolved and any activity where Baha’is declared their religious identity was punishable by imprisonment.
During the proceedings they asked for support to rescind the law on prohibiting Baha’i activity, which is still in effect despite the fact that the law contradicts the 2005 constitution, which guarantees freedom of belief to all citizens.
Millions of Baha’is around the world celebrated the honorary bicentennial of the birth of Baha'u'llah on Oct. 21-22. Baha’is in Baghdad celebrated after one month of postponements given the security difficulties and challenges surrounding the ceremony.
||Bahaullah, Birth of; Twin Holy days; Holy days; Centenaries; Websites; Persecution, Iraq; Persecution, Bans; Persecution