Search for tag "Dorothy Baker"
|1951 24 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi appoints 12 Hands of the Cause of God, the first contingent of Hands to be appointed. BBRSM127; BW12:38–40, 374–5; BW13:333–4; MBW20]
- They are Sutherland Maxwell, Mason Remey, Amelia Collins (she had been appointed in 1946, but her appointment had not been made public), Valíyu’lláh Varqá, Tarázu’lláh Samandarí, ‘Alí-Akbar Furútan, Horace Holley, Dorothy Baker, Leroy Ioas, George Townshend, Herman Grossmann and Ugo Giachery [GBF110–11; MBW20; PP253–4]
||Hand of the Cause; Sutherland Maxwell; Mason Remey; Amelia Collins; Valiyu’llah Varqa; Tarazu’llah Samandari; Ali Akbar Furutan; Horace Holley; Dorothy Baker; Leroy Ioas; George Townshend; Herman Grossmann; Ugo Giachery; Appointment Hand - First Contingent
| 1953 3 – 6 May
||The All-America Intercontinental Teaching Conference is held in Chicago. [BW12:133]
- For the texts of Shoghi Effendi’s messages to the conference see BW12:133–41 and MBW142–6.
- Twelve Hands of the Cause are present. [BW12:143]
- At the conference, five members of the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States resign from that body in order to go pioneering: Elsie Austin, Dorothy Baker, Matthew Bullock, Mamie Seto and Dr William Kenneth Christian. [ZK102]
- Extract from the cecond message to All-American Intercontinental Conference from Shoghi Effendi... [MBW150]
.....the lands contributed in Latin America for a similar purpose approximate one-half of a million square meters, ninety thousand of which have been set aside near Santiago, Chile, for the first Mashriqu’l-Adhkár of South America..
||All-America Intercontinental Teaching Conference; Hands of the Cause; pioneer; Elsie Austin; Dorothy Baker; Matthew Bullock; Mamie Seto; William Kenneth Christian; Intercontinental Teaching Conference; Conference; Mashriqul-Adhkar (House of Worship)
|1954 10 Jan
||Dorothy Baker, (b.21 December, 1898) Hand of the Cause of God, dies in a plane crash in the Mediterranean Sea, near the island of Elba. [BW12:670]
- For the Guardian’s cable see BW12:670, CF161.
- Shoghi Effendi had appointed her among the first contingent on the 24th of December, 1951. [MoCxxiii]
- For her obituary see BW12:670–4.
- See also Freeman, From Copper To Gold.
- See TG229 for a short story about her and a comment from her on the Long Obligatory Prayer.
||Dorothy Baker. Long Obligatory Prayer; In Memoriam; Appointment Hand - First Contingent
|1954 19 Mar
||Paul Haney is appointed Hand of the Cause of God following the death of Hand of the Cause of God Dorothy Baker. [GBF111; MBW57]
||Paul Haney; Dorothy Baker; Hand of the Cause
from the main catalogue
- From Copper to Gold: The Life of Dorothy Baker, by Dorothy Freeman Gilstrap (1984). This biography’s purpose is to reflect not only the chronology of Baker’s life, but also the drives, the suffering, the delights, and the peak moments of decision that helped make her who she was. [about]
- When the Saints Come Marching In: The Art of Bahá'í Biography, by Sidney Edward Morrison and Frank Lewis, in dialogue magazine, 1:1 (1986). Comments on hagiography, including reviews of nine popular Baha'i biographies. Includes response "In Praise of Saints" by Frank Lewis (from dialogue 1:3). [about]